Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping out & orange light flashing

FIXED
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Connection dropping out & orange light flashing

If it is the master socket, then the faceplate has been swapped for a different one.

You'd normally have 2 wires from the cabinet (or exchange only, but tends to be rural locations) that go to terminals A&B, then on the other part of that socket, 2 wires on 2&5 going to any other sockets

=====A (master socket) 2========= other socket etc

=====B (master socket) 5========= other socket etc

Don't get paranoid, but see if any have A&B terminals....?

What you're describing is that the main wires come in to the downstairs socket, then this links to the upstairs socket. The issue is, due to having both wires in the same terminals (2&5) then you don't actually have a test point as such.

Now, the demarcation point on a master socket, thus Openreach's property, is everything up to the terminals A&B, anything from there on is your responsibility. But you don't have a demarcation point and there is a chance Openreach will blame you (and thus charge you £65) should they come out and those wires are at fault.

If the wires are not at fault and it's outside in their network, then you shouldn't be charged.

It might be worth asking a neighbour (assuming all the houses near you are built the same) to see if they have the same socket as you or if they have an Openreach master socket....?

Toffee_efc
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

No A&B terminals in sight. Both fronts are the same with same wiring just the extra wires downstairs.

Without jumping to conclusions would maybe suggest the sockets/wiring are the problem.

I’d happily pay £65 if that was the fix!

Thanks for your continued support DS, much appreciated. Will be in touch after clarity check.
DS
Seasoned Champion

Right, ok.......

How good are you at DIY? You really shouldn't do thisLips_are_sealed, but if you were to pick a multicore cable, probably the one coming in from outside, and were to remove the 1x blue and 1x white for the wires going upstairs, so they were not in the circuit, it would mean you only have the outside wires connected.

Then see if it still drops, if it does then we would be fairly confident it's not your internal wiring as it isn't in the circuit.

If you need the upstairs socket you'd need to put the wires back in that you never took out;)

(you shouldn't do it, but make sure that 'that loose wire that fell out' doesn't touch the metal casing of the 'master socket', just in case - it won't blow up in your face)

It could be the socket, but if it worked fine before then the chances it failed before you took a look are fairly remote imho

(but with the upstairs socket disconnected, we'd know it wasn't that one upstairs;))

You may find out the developers put those sockets in all of your estate, if that's the case you could argue that this was like it already if they considered charging you. Plusnet would argue that case for you too (if you get a good employee).

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

That is just an old fashioned non Openreach Master socket with an extension cable to your other socket.

The first time an openreach engineer comes out they will replace that with a proper filtered socket,which should increase fibre speeds, but will mean you won't get an internet signal on your extension.

@DS  careful wit your advice when you don't recognise / things are not the same as what you have 😉 where is the smiley for learning something new!! 

DS
Seasoned Champion

Very true Smiley

But that socket looks like a fairly modern chrome plated one....?

(and yes it's only advice and suggestions too)

I don't recall old sockets having a metal face, but guess I could be wrong.

I agree OR would more than likely swap it out for one of theirs Smiley

(I know of some whom have a new one fitted then swap it back so they can run their router elsewhere - not me and not done by me either)

(just trying to make sure they don't have to pay for it, if it isn't their fault)

Toffee_efc
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Fix
Hi All,

Just wanted to give a quick update now that I’m up & running with no connection dropouts!!!

BT came out & did all the standard checks & didn’t find a fault with any of my setup. They confirmed it was definitely interference causing the dropout & that they’d send a special team out to try & detect what was causing it.

In the meantime I spoke to all my neighbours to explain what was happening & to try & determine the root cause of the interference. None of my neighbours suggested anything initially.... However the next day my next door neighbour confirmed they had a lamp on a timer set to come on at 7pm & off at 5am!! 🙉

Once this was unplugged & discarded my internet has been running perfectly. My neighbour even said that their internet had been running painfully slow & has now improved.
MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Great news @Toffee_efc

Thanks a lot for letting us know.

If you ever need any more assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR