cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping frequently

Blokeinabox

Connection dropping frequently

Hi,

My broadband drops frequently, often for about 20 minutes. When it happens, I have a flashing orange power light (hub one) and sometimes the broadband light flashes also. This has started happening over the couple of weeks, seems to be getting steadily worse.

Have tried the test socket, 3 different filters, no other equipment connected to the line. Have also factory reset the router a couple of times. This often works for about an hour then starts dropping again. We don't have a landline handset so haven't listened to the line.

We've noticed the problem is far worse when it's windy, and looking at the line from the pole in the street to the house, it seems low hanging and loose in comparison to the neighbours. I wonder if it's damaged and the movement exasperates the interference.

Whilst it's been very windy, I've been unable to connect only for short bursts.

I've submitted a ticket (3 days ago I think) but no response. Could someone please take a look at the line?
3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Connection dropping frequently

Hi there.

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Our tests aren't showing the cause for the problem, but we can definitely see the drops:

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1615
Description Potential HR Joint or wet joint detected on GEA Service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status Out Of Sync
Downstream Speed 6.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 0.7 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status Unknown
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 320.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact Retrains Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence From 15:00 to 17:15
Interference Location Other
Interference Observed In Days 12
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2019-01-01T09:30:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 7.0 Mbps 24.9 Mbps 15.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 0.7 Mbps 9.9 Mbps 1.8 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 838.1 Sec
Retrains 0.0 86.0 4.2
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-01-14T08:55:10Z 2019-01-14T09:10:10Z
Ingress Code Violation 11 2
Egress Code Violation 1 0
Errored Seconds 1 0
Severely Errored Seconds 1 0
Unavailable Seconds 565 343

image15474575838482

I've checked your account and I can see you started raising a fault, but didn't complete the process, so the fault ticket wasn't escalated to our faults team for review. Based on the information you've given here, I've completed this for you.

While the tests are showing a potential line fault, unfortunately as of very recently most fault outcomes now result in an engineer needing to visit your property for them to be able to trace where the fault lies through end to end testing.

If you can reply to your fault ticket https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=186317960 with your availability for a visit giving us a nudge here once you've done so we'll be happy to book the appointment in for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Blokeinabox

Thanks Anoush,

Didn't realise the ticket hadn't gone through. I'll blame the tiny mobile screen 😉

I've replied to the ticket now. Thanks for completing it.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem, I've got you booked in for an appointment on 16-01-2019 between 8am and 1pm.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet