cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping frequently - session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

MBailey8

Connection dropping frequently - session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

Hi,

Like quite a few of you I have been working from home during the lockdown, my internet connection was pretty good for the first couple of weeks but recently (last two weeks) the connection keeps dropping (some days it drops over 10 times).  The speed has been good, so I'm thinking there is an issue with the router rather than the line. I've been looking at the logs on the hub and noticed this:

09:22:04, 20 Apr.(329081.030000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
09:22:04, 20 Apr.(329081.010000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username
09:22:04, 20 Apr.(329081.000000) CWMP: Session start now. Event code(s): '4 VALUE CHANGE'
09:21:33, 20 Apr.(329050.680000) CWMP: session closed due to error: Could not resolve host
09:21:33, 20 Apr.(329050.650000) CWMP: Server URL: https://dbtpnhdm.bt.mo; Connecting as user: ACS username

Has anybody seen this issue before (session closed due to error: Could not resolve host)?  Is this causing the connection to drop?  If so, can anyone advise on whether I can resolve the issue myself?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Connection dropping frequently - session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

Hi @MBailey8, I am sorry for the issues you're having.

I have tested the line and this has picked up a fault on the line; we'll need to arrange an engineer visit but as our engineers are currently only working externally due to COVID-19, I would advise you first complete these troubleshooting steps and connect your router to the test socket as shown here for the time being.

Once done, if your issue persists, please reply on the ticket here with your availability and you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
MBailey8

Re: Connection dropping frequently - session closed due to error: Could not resolve host

Thanks Lauren, 

I have added a comment to the incident that you opened.

Once again thanks for the response

MBailey8

I've done a bit of research on the forums and it seems that "session closed due to error: Could not resolve host" is a bit of a red herring.  I believe it is saying this as a result of the Internet connection dropping, it can't do a DNS lookup of the ACS address, and hence the 'could not resolve host' error.

Still not sure what is causing the signal to drop as it was working fine two weeks ago (not done any building works so doubt it is any internal wiring causing the problem), but plusnet are on the case so will update this post with their findings incase others are having the same problems.