cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping extremely frequently

KingCur

Connection dropping extremely frequently

Good day, I come to you a very unhappy customer.

As a relatively new Plusnet customer, I'm shocked to discover that Plusnet is not what I thought it was going to be.

My connection has been dropping near enough every 12-40 minutes since it has been installed.

I have called customer service and they said; 'it has already dropped 6 times today' and 'it may be a problem with the copper part of the wire ...'

This employee ran me through the standard tests and concluded it was nothing on their (Plusnet's) side.

That same customer service employee sent out an 'engineer' that came and assessed the connections/sockets - needless to say, he said the problem was not on my side.

Following this, I phoned customer service again and informed them of my situation.

This employee said that usually the 'engineers' solve the problems, and suggested that I allow him to call out another 'engineer', this one of a higher rank - BT. He also stated that it was the 'cabinets software timing you(me) out' - of course referring to my local FTTC cabinet.

This 'engineer' did not solve the problem. In addition, to my disbelieve, he left without returning the card that had my Wi-Fi details on this.

How will you resolve this situation? Whom do I report to when the 'engineers' cannot resolve the problem?

Notes:

It is not the 'copper part of the wire'

I've done the noisy line test, it's not that.

It's not on my side

Please, please do not tell me to 'restart my router' or 'disconnect my devices'

I would like that 'engineer' to return with my card

3 REPLIES 3
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Connection dropping extremely frequently

Welcome to the community forums @KingCur

Sorry to hear of your experience and you're having connection issues

How will you resolve this situation? Whom do I report to when the 'engineers' cannot resolve the problem?

It's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate if your connection is still dropping. As frustrating as it sounds, sometimes it can take multiple engineers to fix an intermittent problem.

I've sent the fault report back to our suppliers to further investigate. We'll be in touch when we've got more info.

I would like that 'engineer' to return with my card

I'm very sorry if the engineer took your card with the WiFi details on it.

As we don't have contact with the engineers (or even Openreach with regards to broadband faults) this isn't something we can arrange, but you should be able to find all the details you need on the back of your router.

I'd also recommend logging into your router settings at 192.168.1.254 and change your WiFi password as a precaution.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
KingCur

Thank you for the reply. I'll be waiting for more information. Thanks.

ritz1
Dabbler

Could you clarify a bit better what the symptoms are?

- When you say "connection dropping", is it actually the DSL connection dropping? Check lights on router, see management interface how long Broadband and Internet have been up for, etc.

- Or, is it the experience from your LAN? (i.e. cannot reach Internet from your laptop) If this is the case, could you pls set the DNS on your LAN host / laptop, manually to the Google ones (8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4) and check if the problem is solved?

You may be experiencing problems similar to mine that PlusNet support cannot address adequately, described here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/HubOne-firmware-issue-with-DNS/td-p/1509006