cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping and speed drops

Jay61
Dabbler

Connection dropping and speed drops

Hi my connection keeps dropping out everyday,,  and my speed has drop from 64 mps to 47 mps,,, over the last few weeks, Done all the tests,  reset router, plugged into test socket, left it for 72 hours,, but it’s still happening , plusnet say it’s a WiFi problem but the pc is wired, so I change my router to a d6400 but it’s still happening any help please...

2 REPLIES 2
owler

Re: Connection dropping and speed drops

Are you using a wifi extender?

I had endless trouble with the symptoms you describe - especially around 10-11 at night. It didn't seem to be contention as the broadband speed on my PC was very good all the time. I eventually solved it by ditching my Tp-Link WA850RE extender and installing a Tp-Link300mbps powerline link. Even then I had to reset my internet radio, Samsung television and Kindle reader until they picked up a reliable PlusNet signal. Either my old extender was faulty or some older extenders won't work properly with PlusNet.

If you decide to get this extender be warned that it must be plugged into wall sockets, not extension leads. That can be tough if your router is far from a wall socket.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Connection dropping and speed drops

Hi @Jay61 and welcome to the Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear you're having connection issues as of recent. Looking at the graph below we can certainly see something is out of place somewhere.

However our testing isn't highlighting any faults that are causing these drops so the next step we'd usually go is advising on own domain checks. As you've already tried the test socket and another router though there's not much further we could recommend. It could be worth unplugging all your ethernet connected devices just to see if the drops persist however if you haven't already?

I've raised a fault on your account regarding this issue as I feel we may very well need to get a engineer out to investigate further so if you could please update the fault with the required information here and drop us a message back on here after doing so and we'll happily get this picked up for you.
I've just seen you've been in touch via a support channel and a fault has been raised to get this investigated by our suppliers for you. Please let us know how it goes and if there's anything we can help you with moving forwards.-  Benj