Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping and speed decreasing

Han7
Hooked

Connection dropping and speed decreasing

Hi,

Over the last few months our router has starting randomly dropping it's connection and reconnecting a minute or two later, I've verified this by looking at the "DSL Line Status" figure for connection time. Recently this has become a daily issue, in fact it sometimes happens multiple times per day. 

As the problem has got worse our connection speed has also dropped. The upload speed has dropped by around 2 Mbps to 17.63 Mbps, which isn't too bad, however the download speed has dropped dramatically from almost 70 Mbps to 22.4 Mbps which has made a hugely noticble difference when multiple devices are connected and using the connection.

We've also noticed a crackling noise on our phone line which has also got progressively worse, only the router and phone are connected to the line, both directly via the master socket. I tried fitting a microfilter to see if that would help, although I know they shouldn't be needed with fibre, and it made no difference at all.

I'm also replacing the telephone this week as it's pretty old and may well be faulty, I figured we were due a new one anyway.

What's the best way to get the speed looked into and hopefully get it back up to a decent speed again? 

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Han7
Hooked

Re: Connection dropping and speed decreasing

Ok so the phone has been disconected for about 2 hours now, and the internet connection has dropped 4 times in the past hour alone, so if anything it's gotten worse... still getting a new phone but clearly the old one isn't the problem. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @Han7 

I'm sorry to see you're hearing noise on your line and your connection is dropping. I've tested your line today and the tests are showing a fault so I've a reported this to our suppliers and we've been given an estimated response time of by 03/02/20 23:59:59 for an engineer to go out and investigate further.

Can you let us know how it goes over the next few days?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Han7
Hooked

Ok thanks for getting back to me.

The new phone arrived today but when I plugged it in to the master socket the internet dropped and the crackling noise was worse than ever, the line is totally unusable for telephone calls now so I've left the phone unplugged to keep the internet up and running.

The upload speed also dropped again significantly after I tried connecting the phone, it's now just over 13 Mbps and downstream is still 22.4 Mbps.

Hopefully it doesn't get any worse before the engineer can investigate!

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @Han7

Thank you for the update.

I can see that our suppliers have provided a estimated response time of 03.02.2020. Hopefully you should see an improvement once our engineers have been to investigate. A ticket has also been created on your account to log the fault. You can view and respond to the ticket using this link.

Should you need anything in the meantime, please do let us know!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team