cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping all of the time

LukasD
Dabbler

Connection dropping all of the time

This has been going on for months.   Every single day, several times a day the connection drops out for up to 10 minutes at a time.

14 REPLIES 14
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Connection dropping all of the time

Testing your line isn't showing any issues.

Apart from a few drops in the past couple of days, the physical connection seems stable:

Are you seeing more drops than the above? And are you connecting over WiFi or via Ethernet?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LukasD
Dabbler

Ethernet, but this is the router itself losing connection - the orange light comes on, the error message pops up on screen and it takes ages to reconnect.

That graph shows its already dropped twice today,  4 times yesterday.   Most days I notice at least one connection drop.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'd recommend running through the troubleshooting here then raise a fault to us here

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LukasD
Dabbler

I raised the fault last week, haven't heard anything back.  Meanwhile the disconnections are getting worse.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear your fault ticket hasn't been picked up yet.

I'll take a look now. Expect a response here within about an hour.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like there's a fault at the cabinet. I've reported it through to BT now.

Fingers crossed for a quick fix.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LukasD
Dabbler

I got a mesage saying it should now be fixed, but I'm not seeing any difference.  Still getting drops every day.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Testing your line isn't showing any further issues and the physical connection looks relatively stable.

Are you seeing more drops than indicated below?

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LukasD
Dabbler

I'm pretty sure there was one yesterday which isn't showing there. 

Are sporadic dropouts generally expected on a normal line?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Are sporadic dropouts generally expected on a normal line?

Yeah due to the nature of broadband connections, some drops are to be expected.

The next step would potentially be to arrange an engineer visit, but it's possible an engineer may find no fault and a call out charge applied.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LukasD
Dabbler

I've had engineers here in the past with my old ISP - one found a fault beyond his skill to fix and sent it on to Openreach.  The Openreach engineer came and found no fault and charged me.

I suppose there's nothing to do then, and I just have to tolerate dropouts.  In the past, with Talktalk, sometimes changing my SNR profile stopped the disconnects for a while, can we try doing that?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In the past, with Talktalk, sometimes changing my SNR profile stopped the disconnects for a while, can we try doing that?

As you're on fibre, we've got no control over DLM or the SNR profile I'm afraid.

I've discussed this with one of my colleagues and looking back on the connection for the past 12 months, there does certainly seem to be a problem so we'd like to offer you an engineer visit to further investigate this.

I've updated your here and moved it to my teams ticket pool so we can take a bit of ownership of this for you.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LukasD
Dabbler

I don't really fancy having to pay out again when they don't find any fault.   The last time an engineer came he couldn't find any problems, mumbled something about "interference from my fridge" and then left me with a bill for £50.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

From looking at the connection drops, it's unlikely we'd pass on a charge if there's no fault found in this instance.

With that said, I can't guarantee that and the potential fee would be £65. Sad

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet