Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping after speed increase

FIXED
Thomas5020
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Re: Connection dropping after speed increase

In the evening I changed over to the test socket , but the drops persisted for a while after that until I limited my most bandwidth heavy application (Steam) to 512kbps download speeds. 

I've uncapped it now and it seems to be working. I'll leave it set up like this for a good while,

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your response @Thomas5020.

I think given the ongoing nature of the issue it's probably the wisest course of action.

Let us know how you get on over the next few weeks.

Once we're sure that it is resolved, we'll be able to look at a gesture of goodwill being applied to the account.

Thomas5020
Grafter
Fixes: 2

So I've been running it with the micro-filter in the test socket for about a month now. And here's how things are:

Only time I get drops are between 1-2am, for a few minutes. Maybe this is normal? 

Speeds were 6.5-7MB down, but over the course of the month have slowly gotten lower and now I'm at 4.4MB. Restarting the router doesn't change it. 

So almost certain that it is the socket faceplace that was causing the drops. I've only got 1 socket in the house though, so in theory I should be able to leave it set up like this? 

LordFoul
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 32

Hi @Thomas5020,

Thanks for the information there, it's appreciated.

I shouldn't read much into the early morning drops if they last a minute or so as long as they are isolated and not constantly occurring, and from what I could see on your connection such drops appear to be few and far between. I should refrain from manually restarting the router however as this could start affecting the dynamic line management software that handles speed, and may result in a slower service.

With regards to the connection itself, I have run a diagnostic check which shows the line is performing within the average speeds for your product. I'd be tempted to agree with you about the socket faceplate. If this is the only socket in the house then it should be the master socket, it shouldn't make any difference to the connection if the faceplate is removed as long as you have the ADSL microfilter plugged in.

If you need any further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks - LF