Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection dropping after speed increase

FIXED
Thomas5020
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Connection dropping after speed increase

Recently upgraded to the more expensive and faster fibre plan (Extra? Not sure, I wasn't the one who placed the order). The speeds were increased for a good week or 2, from around 34mbps down to around 56. 

Problem I'm having now is that it keeps dropping. Sometimes once a day, sometimes 5 or 6 times in an hour. Sometimes it drops straight after it reconnects before I've had a chance to even do anything. Drops don't appear to be linked to me maxing out my connection. There are no ping/latency problems. 

As a result, my speeds have gone down to less than 20mbps (I'm guessing that's the network equipment responding to the instability), although I'm still getting the drops. Router is showing PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User Request) every time it drops. Tried to do some reading on this log entry and some people have suggested physical line damage, don't know if there's any truth to that or not. I might add that my router is still seeing the data rate is 15352 / 69236, but that's not being reflected in my speeds (Speed tests performed with speedof.me and speedtest.btwholesale.com, wired connection) 

18 REPLIES 18
Thomas5020
Grafter

Re: Connection dropping after speed increase

dfgdfg.png

Literally 5 minutes after writing this post

Optimatts
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 19

Hi there @Thomas5020,

Looking at your connection, I'm suspecting DLM is kicking in to manage some interference, the cause of which is not being resolved.

Effectively meaning the drops will continue and your speed will keep reducing in an effort to combat the drops as long as the fault isn't fixed.

My first suggestion would be to try some of our basic broadband troubleshooting HERE.

Let us know how you get on.

JasonE
Grafter

Hi,  I had this exact same issue when 'upgrading' a year ago.  The service has just gone down hill from there and now with wifi issues too I am about to cancel my contract with plusnet and try elsewhere.  😞

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @JasonE,

I'm sincerely sorry to hear you are thinking of cancelling your services as a result of the WiFi issues you are experiencing.

I can see you have had quite a lot of bother in regards to the issue from the account, although your connection has been stable for the past 5 days with no drops in connection.

Something to try (if you haven't already) is changing the channels on your router - more info can be found here . It would be useful to get an WiFi analyzer app to let you know which channels have the least interference in the area as well.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Thanks.

Thomas5020
Grafter

Honestly the support people online are usually really helpful. 

If you're having Wi-Fi problems with the Plusnet Hub One turn off the 5Ghz. I've seen a lot of people, myself included, having problems with the 5Ghz band. 

@Optimatts I'll follow the troubleshooting steps tomorrow morning and let you know the situation. 

JasonE
Grafter

Well, after a very painful, night long transition - most devices have settled for 2.4ghz only.
Whilst this is all very well I simply ask why the hell is this acceptable !?? What’s the point in a multi band router if only 2.4 works 🤷‍♂️
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @JasonE, the 2.4GHz has a better range and is better used for devices that are mobile or used further away from the router. The 5GHz is stronger however, the range isn't as good and therefore is only ideal for devices used close by.

Your device will only ever use either the 2.4 or 5GHz at any one time and it's usually better to split them so you can manually select which one is better for the device (not all devices are compatible with 5GHz).

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Thomas5020
Grafter

So I dug out a microfilter and connected everything to the test socket last night around 7pm. 

Since then, the only drop was at 3am when I wasn't really using it (Might be normal, you guys will know better than me) and the speed is at around 66mbps which is higher than it was originally. 

Should I return my setup back to normal and see if the problem returns? Just to make sure it was the socket. at fault 

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Thomas5020 

That would be a good shout. 

If you get drops once you set up the original way, go back to the test socket again and see if its more stable. It wounds like the faceplate of your Master Socket might be at fault here. 

Thanks, 

MoR

Thomas5020
Grafter

So I put the faceplate back on, gave it a couple of hours for speeds to increase and it's back to around 65mbps? 

Makes no sense but that's how it's unfolded Sad

Guess I'll see if it starts dropping again? 

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Thomas5020

Yeah - I'd definitely suggest monitoring this - could have been a loose connection, could have been static build-up.

Let us know if the drops continue to occur when you're in the test socket and we'll take it from there.

Best wishes

Dave

Thomas5020
Grafter

Hi @RandallFlagg , reviving a dead thread. 

I just came back from a holiday, so have not been using the connection for almost 2 weeks. 

Internet was off when I got home. Dropping instantly when it connected. Same in the test socket. Restarted router. 

Speeds have been dropped down to about 1.5MB/s, but it's still dropping. 

So there's definitely a problem somewhere

17:58:36, 07 Sep. ( 1825.320000) PTM over DSL is down after 1 minutes uptime
17:58:36, 07 Sep. ( 1825.310000) PPPoE is down after 0 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]
17:58:34, 07 Sep. ( 1822.590000) PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]
Thomas5020
Grafter

Fix

What it'll do is have a play about with another microfilter, and the test socket, and the spare router I have and see if it gets any better. 

If not, i'll call support and get something sorted out. 

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Thanks for your post @Thomas5020.

We're sorry to hear of your connection issues.

On checking the line, we can't detect any sort of fault with the line but can definitely see an inordinate amount of drops over the last few days and so are able to raise a fault, if necessary.

However, I can see that the connection seems to have been stable since 02:00 this morning - had you made some changes to the setup?