Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection cutting from time to time.

Lolaan
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Connection cutting from time to time.

I had the same thing happening a few months ago, my connection was cutting off 3 or 4 times a day. I then changed the channel on the router and it did work alright without disconnecting for a few months.

Now, it has started again, about once or twice a day. Sometimes it reconnects after a minute, but today it didn't. I restarted my laptop as sometimes the connection comes back after restarting, but not this time.

So I rebooted the router, and the router has reconnected the laptop to Plusnet.

Does that mean I got to change channel again?

I have the technicolor 582N

Is it alright to reboot the router or could it create problems?

7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Connection cutting from time to time.

Hi there,

Rebooting the router is fine but it's won't help if the WiFi connection drops.

I'd advise changing channels again but if you haven't done so already try using a WiFi scanner app to determine the best one to connect to (i,e with the least interference)

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
KS25
Grafter

if you can get into the event log on your router and find the exact error message when the connection drops... i have a feeling it's the same one that i see, and there's no explanation for it

Lolaan
Rising Star

This is what i see in the events log for today. I am only doing the exclamation marks.

09:59:59 SNTP Systemtime update: time setting 00:01:24 > new time setting 09:59:59
12:43:34 FIREWALL lcmp check Destination unreachable Code: Port Unreachable
12:46:36 FIREWALL lcmpcheck Destination unreachable
                Code: Port unreachable
13:47:01 FIREWALL lcmp check Type: Echo reply Code 0

This is earlier on in the year
jan 1

00:00:33 UPnP framework disabled 

00:00:35 UPnP framework disabled

00:00:37 UPnP framework disabled
00:00:43 UPnP framework enabled
00:00:48 DHCS server up
00:01:02 [ANTI SPOOFD] (err)getobject_at...SPOOFD's value failed
00:01:23 PPP link up (internet) [87.xxx.xx.xxx]

This is all the negative since the beginning of the year. from january 1 it jumps to 20 july, no events for the other months.

Lolaan
Rising Star

I did try Wifi Analyser, it tells me that channel 11,12,13 and 14 are the best. I am on channel 11, 14 suppose to be better but it's only better by half a star. So I am still on one of the better channels.

Lolaan
Rising Star

It did happen again, this time I made note of the time it did happen. I have done the same thing, reboot the router to get the connection back
I have checked again the events log, but there is no event log problem recorded when the drop happened. And the logs I had for july 20 have vanished, only the ones for 1 january and today 23 are recorded now. 
I did change the channel again, to get further away of the other routers around me, to see if it's that, but the channel I was had maximum rating for the Wifi Analyser, so maybe it's not the channel neither.
I'll see what's happened now, but if it carries on, I can't keep rebooting the router every time it happens, as it seems the only thing that gets my connection back.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Lolaan

As soon as you reboot, the log file is empty as it is only held in memory on the router. Therefore the reboot clears the log file and it starts again. The log file will start from 1 January until it manages to get the current date and time from the time server once the network link is running. Then the log file entries will show the real date and time.

As to why the router is stopping all the WiFi connections, it may be early signs of the device going bad or the plugin power supply. The plug will have the power details on it and you maybe lucky and  have in your property a matching power supply. Worth a quick look and if so, worth a try using the other power supply as a test. I've had to replace routers in the past that showed these symptoms.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Lolaan
Rising Star

Changing channel again seemed to have done the trick, so far. SmileyThis last few days I had no connection drops. Until next time, probably.Roll_eyes