cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed good but internet still slow - Why?

DRFielding

Connection Speed good but internet still slow - Why?

I am constantly experiencing problems with the internet:
• Pages slow to load and I’m talking everyday stuff like BBC News pages etc
• Pages unavailable – please check the URL (nothing wrong with URL’s)
• Film trailers on IMDB buffering
• PS4 – my boys can’t join parties?
However whenever I check my speed (sprredtest.net) it’s showing between 20 & 30Mb depending which part of the house I’m in.
I didn’t have these problems when on was on standard broadband with speeds of only 3Mb!!!
Can anybody shed light on why I’ve experiencing these problems and what if anything I can do to fix them?
Any help advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Robert
2 REPLIES 2
YellowBarley
Grafter

Re: Connection Speed good but internet still slow - Why?

We had very similar symptoms to those you've outlined.
I've just had a conversation with PN customer services following my post in the forum and raising a support ticket (as they requested I do).  Essentially Plusnet have quoted for - and in fact provisioned - a service they will "never in a million years" be able to deliver.
The reason for this is our distance from the cabinet.  I suspected ~1.5miles, 'Nick' (PN bod) confirmed it's actually just over 2 miles.  Consequently our line is having to work incredibly hard to try and hit the 80/20 profile we're apparently paying for.  This in turn leads to massive performance hits predominantly due to the low upload capability.
It's worth trying to find out which cabinet you're connected to and see if you can identify it in your local area (a ball-ache I know).  We're now going to go down to 40/2 to see if that helps the situation and if that fails they "won't charge" for a further downgrade to ADSL.  It seems bonkers, but this would in theory give us a faster, more stable connection - that is certainly our experience (old ADSL with BT was not amazing but it was what it was, this is just unusable).
As I said in my thread - it isn't commercially viable for ISPs to provide a good network for rural communities.  So they don't.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Connection Speed good but internet still slow - Why?

@DRFielding
The information you've provided suggests your connecting over wireless? Can you try a wired connection to see if that's any better?
@YellowBarley
Let us know if the work our business team hasn't sorted the issue on Monday.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team