cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed degrading by the day, getting no support please help

ericwalker
Dabbler

Connection Speed degrading by the day, getting no support please help

Hello, I have been with plus net close to 18 months now, and since my connection date each month my speed has slowly started dropping
It was approx 76mb when I first got connected (after getting pout on the right line profile)
and slowly dropped by a few mb each week, to the point I am now getting 31.8 Mb less than my estimated line speed of 32mb (which was a lot higher when I first signed up)
I have logged about 6 support calls with the help desk and got no where.
Please can someone from PlusNet help, otherwise I think I will be moving to Sky Fibre once I reach the 18 month date
30 REPLIES 30
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

Re: Connection Speed degrading by the day, getting no support please help

you'll need to provide your router stats,
a further diagnostics test from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/
and the current line speed shown at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
this is a bare minimum to be able to troubleshoot.
cross talk could account for some drop in speed, but not the amounts you have.
cross talk occurs as more people migrate to fibre are your particular cabinet, and until openreach deploy a new technology to combat it, it'll be something you have to live with.
ericwalker
Dabbler

ericwalker
Dabbler

Estimated line speed:
32Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-07-16 18:26:14
Current line speed:
31.8 Mb
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Eric,
Is there noise on you phone line?  Dial 17070 option 2 and do it repeatedly from time to time.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ericwalker
Dabbler

no noise what so ever, crystal clear
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

What has support had to say?
What do the support tickets report?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ericwalker
Dabbler

In the past basically...
Your line is very stable and is running within the limits, however we cannot just simply reset your line. There is a reason your line naturally degrades, and it seems it is not capable of running at 40Mb+ whilst remaining stable. This is all determined by the exchange.
I have performed a tags check of your line and your predicted fibre speed is currently only 28Mbps. If you have received faster speeds previously please monitor your connection for a bump when holding. However we are unable to raise a fault when you are syncing 8Mbps faster than predicted. The fault would be rejected by BT prior to investigation.
As you can see from this, the range of your download speed can range from 20.6Mb to 48.3Mb depending on the quality of the cable.
I have looked into this matter for you and it looks like our system was limiting your speed to the 37Mbps limit, I have removed this for you now and your line will now be able to get speeds of up to 80Mbps (If your line can obtain these speeds).

It varies all the time(and never has it ever been predicted 28Mbps)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Eric,
What does this predict - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwchecker.htm ?
The problem with FTTC is that in their early estimates, BT never allowed for the impact of cross talk as their installations expanded.  Many users have consequently seen their estimates fall and their attainable speeds fall.  A lot of cross talk issues arise from less than perfect local wires, e.g. Aluminium.  The limits of the technology and physics is biting some people very hard.
How far are you from the cabinet?  Were you an early adopter of FTTC in your area?
Kevin

ericwalker
Dabbler

Hi TownMan (thanks for all your replies, its much appreciated)
I have attached the predictions
I am not too far from the green street cab (approx less than 0.3 of a mile by road, so 500 meters Max) , and wasn't really an early adopter, it was available in our area in 2010. so about 2 years after launch
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

your currently within the impacted range, so there may not be a lot that can be done.
i assume all these tests have been done whilst connected to the router via ethernet, and not wifi.
ericwalker
Dabbler

correct, ethernet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Eric,
I'm sad to advise you that your current service is within both the impacted and clean estimates.  You look like you might be a "victim" of better than estimate speeds on initial connection and as the cabinet has filled up, fallen to the estimates. Or BT have cut the estimates based on growing experience of cross talk or actual performance in your area.
Sadly BTOR appear to be Teflon coated!
Kevin

Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ericwalker,
After looking across some of the details on both your account and a quick faults test in the BT system it seems that there isn't anything holding back the speeds due to a line fault or something of the likes. Given this, I would suspect that it could well be as Townman mentions, something to do with Crosstalk.
If this is the case then there may be little we can do in order to push this back however we would be more than open to exploring the situation and seeing is anything more deep rooted turns up that we can use to apply some leverage with the supplier and improve the speeds. If you're wanting to go down this route then I would advise keeping the fault open that you've already raised and await updates from the testing to see what we come up with.
ericwalker
Dabbler

ok thanks, still waiting for a response Smiley