Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Speed and Test Speed very different

FIXED
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Connection Speed and Test Speed very different

Following an Engineer reset on Friday, my Connected Downlink Speed has increased twice and is now higher than I've ever seen before (nearly 60mbps, too high for the distance, I reckon), however Speed tests show my speed at the Same Downlink speed that it's been for weeks. about 40-41Mbps.

I was getting 43Mbps before a number of disconnects saw DLM drop it to 41Mbps about 3 weeks ago (Shown connected at 45Mbps). That was constant for months.

How do I get my speed to increase, at least to normal 43mbps at the PC, hopefully faster? I have switched the hub off and re-booted it to no avail.

Connected Speed yesterday was 51Mbps, I see that the Hub has only been connected for about 5 hours, since I have not reset it today, assuming there was a reset forced from the other end (we have not had a powercut). Connected speed seems to have leapt up 8Mbps on restart.

Puzzled.

9 REPLIES 9
danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Re: Connection Speed and Test Speed very different

I meant to post two screenshots with my post. here they are.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @danludlow 

Sorry to hear you are noticing poor speeds. 

I have tested your circuit today and can see that your router is syncing at 56.7Mbps - this is within the Estimated Speed Range which our supplier ha provided for your line. There are also no faults to be found, which is a good thing to see! 

Test OutcomePass

Test Outcome CodeGTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000

DescriptionGEA service test completed and no fault found .

Main Fault LocationOK

Sync StatusIn Sync

Downstream Speed56.7 Mbps

Upstream Speed11.3 Mbps

Appointment RequiredN

Fault Report AdvisedN

NTE Power StatusPowerOn

Voice Line Test ResultPass

Bridge TapNot Detected

Repetitive Electrical Impulse NoiseNot Detected

Estimated Line Length In Metres778.4

Upstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Downstream Rate AssessmentVery Good

Interference PatternRegular Interference Observed Daily

Service ImpactNo Impact Observed

Interference Duration Longest OccurrenceFrom 16:45 to 21:45

Interference LocationCustomer Premise

Home Wiring ProblemNot Detected

Downstream Policing Discard Rate0.0

Customer Traffic LevelUpstream and Downstream Traffic Detected

TechnologyVDSL

Profile Name0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off

Are you noticing this speed issue on Wireless devices or over Wired connections? Can you run through our troubleshooting guides here and here

Please let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

MoR

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Good Morning MoR, and Merry Christmas!

Thanks for your detailed report.

I am not noticing poor speeds, but wondering why when Synced at a Downstream speed of 56.7Mbps a speed test shows 40Mbps?

Until 3 weeks ago when a number of disconnects had DLM reduce my down speed further, I was getting 43-44Mbps every single time. Following an Engineer reset last Friday, connected Speed at the router was shown as first 51Mbps, then it went to 59Mbps, now it seems about 57Mbps.

The fastest I've ever had at the Router was 52mbps, sustained for several weeks, but the distance from my cabinet suggests that speed isn't (or wasn't?) possible. 47-48Mbps might be realistic on a clean line?

What puzzles is that despite the DLM reset and syncing proud of 50Mbps, my test speed refuses even to return to the once usual 43Mbps.

The router is new, a Plusnet Hub One that you sent me about 10 days ago, Previously I used the Openreach modem and Plusnet router combo. If anything, Hub One should be more up to date, and connect better, one imagines.

Over to you, Puzzled.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Fix

Hi @danludlow, thanks for your post.

On checking, we can see that your line estimates are actually 40-56.2mbps, as per dslchecker.bt.com.

After a DLM resets, we would expect it to take a few days for you to get back up to full speeds. That being said, the connection profile at our end did seem a little low and so I've had that adjusted, so please monitor your speeds over the next 24-48 hours.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance in the meantime, or if you notice no difference after a couple of days.

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Thank You.

A Merry Christmas to you all.

Hopefully those on duty over the break will still manage some fun.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

We're sure they'll find something to do @danludlow, thanks Cheesy

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

Speed Down has increased to over 53Mbps!!!!!!!!

I have never seen it so fast on my system, It might not last but here's hoping that it does. over 10Mbps faster than I've been used to.

What a marvelous Christmas Present, Thanks!

danludlow
Aspiring Pro

The 61Mbps Uplink is a tad dubious its far nearer 12Mbps, but the Downlink speed is pretty reliable

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Glad to hear the download speed is looking pretty good now, thanks for letting us know.

Merry Christmas.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet