Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Dropping

j22222

Connection Dropping

Hello,

Hoping someone can help me.

I have been experiencing random connection drops for at least the past few weeks, as much as four or five drops per day. But on occasion the connection will be up for several days in a row.

The connection automatically reconnects within a few minutes but it is really annoying, particularly with steaming/online gaming sessions being interrupted.

I have tried replacing the BT Openreach Modem with a Netgear DM200 (the DM200 is currently connected) but this seems to have made no difference - but with the random nature of the disconnects it is hard to tell.

We have not had any changes occur with extra hardware, new phone, no changes in the street etc.

So I'm at a loss as to how to fix this problem.

Thanks for your time.

5 REPLIES 5
abarnfield123
Hooked

Re: Connection Dropping

I've just started having problems again where my router has rebooted 25 times in the past 24 hours. This has just started happening and is very annoying. At the moment the systems isn't online enough for me to diagnose the issue !!!!

S/W is showing as last updated in March Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.263 Last updated 22/03/19.

Phone support is saying 40-60 minutes wait time on the phone ! I'm getting seriously frustrated! 

Hope you get your problem resolved. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @j22222 thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems.

Our tests are showing a potential line fault that we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. Do you notice the 'DSL' light on either of your modems flash or go off when the connection drops? That'd be a good indication if the line to the modem is dropping or if the problem is likely to do with the router itself.

If the DSL light is changing, could you report a fault to us Here and post back afterwards? This will allow us to pick the fault ticket up as soon as possible and get the engineer arranged. 

However if the DSL light is always on, I'd recommend trying a different router if you haven't already as it looks like the last router we've sent you is a fairly old Technicolor TG582N which while it may not be the cause for the problem, it'd be a good idea to rule that out before we go down the path of an engineer in this case.

If you'd want a replacement router from us I'd call our customer options team on 0800 013 2632 as we may need to recontract you to send one out free of charge, although the routers we'd send out nowadays would have a modem built in. You'd also be free to buy your own router and set it up using the instructions Here (Assuming you've not already done this)

Hi @abarnfield123 Very similar to the above to be honest. Our tests are showing a potential line fault with no definitive cause so we'd need to start ruling things out before we go down the path of an engineer visit.

As you signed up after the era where we used to arrange engineer visits to fit a master socket isolating internal wiring, could you try plugging your router into the test socket as explained Here to isolate the wiring?

If you still experience drops I'd also suggest trying a different router by following one of the steps above and failing that I'd then recommend heading on over Here to report a fault to us so we can arrange an engineer.

As a side note the firmware version you're on won't be causing these drops and that's still our latest firmware.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
abarnfield123
Hooked

Thank Plusnet support. In answer to your questions I can say that I plugged the router direct into the test socket yesterday and today I had 4 or maybe 5 (can’t exactly tell) WAN reboots today alone. 

The error log shows the line reset every time showing as DSL down, then some handshaking and DSL UP. 

I don’t have a spare router to try, and the only one I has is the Plusnet router provided when I signed up. I’m not keen to go and buy a new device just to test the device. 

abarnfield123
Hooked

Just as an FYI, I had another 7 drops in the past 12 hours and now my line speed has dropped to < ¼ of the original speed... not even the advertised speed!  Skype is failing to work now..... when I can actually get a connection and the connection doesn't drop mid call....very frustrating.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @abarnfield123,

I am sorry to hear that you're experiencing these issues with your connection. I've raised a further response via the open ticket on your account, which can be viewed here. Once you've had the chance to read and respond to the ticket, please let us know on here and we'll pick this back up for review as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team