cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection Capped?

jamiew1989

Connection Capped?

Hi There,

Been having some issue's and not sure if someone can help, Phone support just gives me a headache as im looped round and round in circles.

I have logged this several times before but no help.

I have the Fibre Extra and modem connected at 75mb (Stable)

when doing speed tests and any type of internet usage max speed i can utilise is 23mb, i have checked your website for connection speed and it tell me my line was last checked yesterday and i should be able to get between 60/80. every now and again this seems to be capped at 20 throughput although modem is always connected at 75mb.

Could you check if there is a cap on my account and the reason for it? becoming tired and bored of this and having to spend my evening resetting the router to try and boost the speed (Sometimes a few restarts kicks it in)

Router is a Draytek and is not an issue, im connecting via Network cable, also i have changed routers to the plusnet provided one but the issue still persists. Microfilters/cableshave also been changed

This will not be a line fault as the modem is connected at 75mb and previous tests have shown no faults everytime this issue has occured this is something 100% from your side

If you are able to find a fix i really want a permanent solution put in as this causes me wasted hours every month which i probably wouldnt get with another provider.

Hope you can fix this, any information you need please let me know

Jamie

7 REPLIES 7
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Connection Capped?

Hi there

I think you need to log a proper fault with PN as it sounds like your speed profile is not correctly set. Continually Restarting your router (modem)  will not help matters.

Are you on a fixed IP address?

How are you testing connection speed and throughput? Are you using the BT Wholesale Speed tester here? http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/.

Make sure NOTHING else is usign your conenction and you are on a wired connection.

Do that and copy the result into your answer- with a note of which browser you were using.

Also - carry out a normal speed test using an alternative tester.

good luck!

Can you log into the router interface and paste your stats then someone may be able to give you more information

jamiew1989

I don't have the patience anymore to go through the same long queue times to get through to someone who doesn't want to be at work who ends up running me through every step known to man to realise there is a problem there side. 

Yes, i have a fixed IP. and i'm wired

connection speed throughput is determined by, Onedrive download speed. Dropbox download speed, Streaming services, Steam, Battlenet, speedtest,net btwholesale, google speed test. I'm the only device connected during these tests. also the plusnet website says my speed is 23mb - normally all these things can max my internet at 75mb but wont get over 20mb currently. 

i know everyone hears this all the time but i work in the industry, have done for 10 years. I have always made sure in my career to look at the basics first before perusing a more complicated route. Everything from the home side is fine

i have seen posts on hear before with people who work at PN who have looked into something and resolved it

I'm hoping someone has the time at PN to read this and be able to action it. its just a waste of time me calling the support number. i get cut off because its complicated. i have little time with work/child to actually make the call and i need to be home when i do so this makes it difficult to find time. 

Thanks for taking your time to reply and try and help though

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

hi there @jamiew1989

I strongly suggest your fixed IP address  is part of the problem as to why your speed profile is stuck, as is  the act of resetting the router at regular intervals

You don't have to wait for hours on  the phone. You can, and probably should, raise a fault on line by logging into your account and specifically ask for your speed profile to be reset. Otherwise PN Staff may have difficulty identifying you on this forum! 

I hope you are fortunate and a PN Staff person ( eg  @Gandalf ) picks this up for you and resolves the problem, but please raise a fault first

good luck !

PS - In many years as a PN customer I  have rarely encountered the problem you describe here. PN COS staff have always answered within a few minutes of the call, been polite, informed and able to solve problems - with I admit one notable exception!

I don't have the patience anymore to go through the same long queue times to get through to someone who doesn't want to be at work who ends up running me through every step known to man to realise there is a problem there side. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Jamie. I understand we've spoken over Facebook and I've raised a potential line fault to Openreach.

I've gone back into your account to have a closer look at things. Looks like the speed profile on your account changed to 23000kbps on the 5th January. This speed profile basically matches the current IP profile/sync rate of the connection.

Testing your line now is showing a sync rate of 74.7mbps so it's obvious that the sync rate has since increased, but we haven't yet received what's called a delta report from our suppliers which automatically changes the speed profile.

Delta reports usually come through every few days, though sometimes it can take up to a week. And once it's come through you'd need to drop the PPP session or just reboot your router to basically accept the new change in speed.

When the speed profile goes down, the PPP session is automatically dropped because your router has lost sync, but when it increases it's generally after the sync has already gone up so a reboot you've been doing resolves it.

I've manually increased the profile now so if you drop PPP you should see an increase in speed.

From reviewing the speed history on your account, it looks like your router has been dropping sync periodically and regaining it every (approx) few months for about a year.

Last time this happened was on the 14th November - it dropped down to 29600kbps.

And back up to 69400kbps on the 19th November.

Whilst it is relatively normal for connections to drop occasionally as yours is doing, the speed profile shouldn't have any effect on your throughput, but due to the way connections with static IPs are routed across our network it sadly does affect it.

It's also possible that line fault isn't helping things.

I hope this helps. -Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jamiew1989

Hi Anoush,

Thanks for going into my account and providing such detailed feedback, Really appreciate this!

I know rebooting the router doesn't help but i have had it where finally after restarting it will connect faster and throughput will be better.

Unfortunately i cannot live without the Static IP, otherwise i would just cancel this.Hopefully the line fault fixes things

The problem here is that i wont know when you have delta reports so when am i meant to restart the router but to not over do it to drop the line speed? is there nothing we can do in terms of setting a fixed speed manually? 

Thanks Again

Jamie

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

@jamiew1989 wrote:
The problem here is that i wont know when you have delta reports so when am i meant to restart the router but to not over do it to drop the line speed?

You shouldn't have to do a power off reset of the Router - just go into the Management page and do a "Disconnect" to tidily drop the PPP session.  Then a "Connect" to get a new session started without upsetting the DLM

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems Jamie. Yeah it'd be a bit of a guessing game unless you've got a router which shows the sync rate. Coupled with that and by viewing the current speed on your account here you'll be able to find out if a reboot will help.

If the current speed profile is lower than your sync rate, feel free to let me know or my colleagues on here/social media and we'll give the profile a nudge.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet