cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my own router directly to microfilter

fishfingers

Connecting my own router directly to microfilter

Hi,
I had a question around what i need in order to connect my own router to Plusnet Fiber, i have bought a Asus rt-ac87u ac2400 router and i wanted to know if I can directly connect my router to the micro filter so the connection is like so:
phone line > micro filter > rj-11 wire > Router
So there are no modems or plusnet hardware in between. If this is possible where do you get the connection details from. I have discovered some settings that look important from the plusnet portal connection settings section. However this list looks a little limited, there is no mention of what connection type it is eg PPPoE etc. is there a more comprehensive list i can see somewhere?
Thanks
Faesel
10 REPLIES 10
jordanc1230
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Connecting my own router directly to microfilter

You wouldn't be able to connect it directly to the phone socket as the RT-AC87U does not have a VDSL modem built in. You would need to use a VDSL modem and then connect your router to that.
fishfingers

Thanks for the reply jordanc1230,
Do you know whats the best (most compatible) modem I can get? that also gives me descent performance?
Also are you able to use the plus net router they give you as a modem?
jordanc1230
Rising Star

Most popular one is the openreach provided one's which you can get on ebay for under £30 unless you already have one? what router did plusnet give you is it the Hub One? Asus also have a few routers aviliable with a VDSL modem built in like the DSL-AC68U.
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

You can't use the Hub One as a modem as such, but you can use it to carry out the modem and authorisation functions, then use the Asus plugged into a LAN port of the Hub One, either as a Wireless Access point, or if you change the IP range of one of the routers. This is the configuration that I use on my network, although in my case its a Netgear router, and I use a BT Home Hub 5, which is the same as the Hub One.
Not sure its the same settings, but if the Asus has a smart setup, use that and allow it to pick the right settings. Ethernet cable between the Wan port of the Asus, and Lan port of the Hub One, DSL cable from Hub One to micro filter. Although a Mark 3 faceplate is recommended by many, and should help make sure your internal wiring does not slow down your speeds.
fishfingers

i dont own any modems Sad  and i actually just joined plusnet (i ticked the option not to get a router as i wanted to use my own) so not sure which one they would have provided me. I did have a look at the DSL-AC68U, however i wanted one with Beamforming and MU-MIMO to future proof myself. My concern is if i buy a cheap modem will it stagger the performance of the router (as it was quite new and expensive)?
fishfingers

@Mustrum thanks for the reply do you know if this setup has any performance difference as appose to buying a separate modem, something like 'DrayTek Vigor 130 ADSL/VDSL Ethernet Modem'.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

I guess it depends how fussy you are, it adds 1ms to any tracert I do to an external website, I guess, but I have not tried it I would not see that with a modem.
On the other hand, if you were interested in DSL stats, then an unlocked OR modem can provide those.
I have found the HH5 to work fine in this way, but my HP printer does not like the wireless performance, and kept getting lost, the Netgear provides a much better and reliable wireless service, as I am sure will your Asus.
The only thing you may have to check is if you have BT/PN TV, my Netgear can't work, but the HH5 will work.
fishfingers

I don't like having two boxes, I might return the Asus and get a netgear d7800 over the course of a year or two the cost in electricity might make up the difference anyway. The d7800 has a built in modem.
Mustrum
Community Veteran

I think you may be clutching at straws re the cost of electricity 😉 But yes, a one box solution is a much neater solution, and if money was not an option, the Netgear D7800 would be on my shortlist.
jordanc1230
Rising Star

Quote from: fishfingers
i dont own any modems Sad  and i actually just joined plusnet (i ticked the option not to get a router as i wanted to use my own) so not sure which one they would have provided me. I did have a look at the DSL-AC68U, however i wanted one with Beamforming and MU-MIMO to future proof myself. My concern is if i buy a cheap modem will it stagger the performance of the router (as it was quite new and expensive)?

I would get in touch with support and see if they can provide you with the plusnet hub one if you are a recent customer, you would only need to pay £6.99 postage if they agreed to send one out. The Plusnet Hub One has been alright so far for me and has a built in vdsl modem as well as AC wifi. Even if you don't use it at least you've got a spare vdsl wifi router incase the router you choose stops working, it can also be useful for helping diagnose whether you equipment is faulty or if it's a fault with plusnet. If you have just signed up and haven't had it installed yet explain to plusnet that you thought your own router was compatible with vdsl but it is not and that you would like the free router that was offered if possible. The Plusnet Hub One is a rebadged BT Home Hub 5A.