cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to the internet but cannot connect to Plusnet.

highside57PN
Hooked

Connected to the internet but cannot connect to Plusnet.

This morning I woke to find I could not access anything on the internet other than a web page from BT Wholesale telling me that they were unable to connect to my ISP.  The LED on the router shows a connection to the internet.  I rang Plusnet as soon as the lines opened.  They could see I was connected and the line was synced and could not understand why I wasn't connecting.  The initial suggestion was to sign up to a new 24 month contract to get a new fibre router!!  I pointed out the line had worked fine for the last 55 days and when I tried an entirely different router the problem remained.  Later in the day I tried a third router with exactly the same results.  The Plusnet rep was not keen to upgrade to the next level of technical support but did eventually do so, this was at 8.20 this morning after 50 minutes of checking various possibilities, resets to factory default etc etc.

I organised a BT line test and they confirmed there were no problems with the line.  

Has anybody else had this problem.

When can I hope to hear something from the much vaunted Customer Service as I am surrounded by a less than thrilled family

7 REPLIES 7
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Connected to the internet but cannot connect to Plusnet.

Hi there.

You'd normally see the BTwholesale service information page which is also known as Walled Garden if your router is trying to connect to us without the proper authentication or there's a crossed line/jumpering problem.

Testing your line is showing us that there's a fault on the phone line which would need to be investigated by your phone provider as we'd struggle to report a broadband fault with our suppliers if the line is in fault.

Our test results can be found below showing this:

Test Outcome Fail
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1615
Description Potential HR Joint or wet joint detected on GEA Service. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location CE
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 38.3 Mbps
Upstream Speed 20.0 Mbps
Appointment Required Y
Fault Report Advised Y
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 334.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2019-02-02T11:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps 39.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 7.3 Mbps 20.0 Mbps 8.5 Mbps
Up Time 0.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 897.4 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-02-15T09:58:15Z 2019-02-15T10:13:15Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0

Records of your login attempts into the BT network are showing your router trying to connect using the wrong details. I'd firstly recommend logging into your router settings and making sure you are using the username in the format of username@plusdsl.net and the password which is your account password.

If you're still unable to browse the web normally, then I'd recommend contacting your phone provider again and if they confirm that there is no issue with the phone line then I'd plug a home phone handset into your master telephone socket and check for a dial tone including dialling 17070 to make sure you've got the right number. 

If you have no dial tone and/or the phone number you hear is not correct, then there is most definitely a fault with the phone line which your phone provider needs to raise with Openreach.

If your phone provider confirms no fault, you've got a dial tone and your number is correct, then please let us know and we'll discuss this with our suppliers to raise a broadband fault and book an appointment for a broadband engineer to visit.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
highside57PN
Hooked

Hi Gandalf
Thank you for your response.

To confirm I have done the following
1. Called BT and got them to run a line test. They said there was no problem with the line.
2. The line has a crystal clear dial tone and I have rung 17070 to confirm the number
3. The reason some wrong details appeared on router connection was borrowing a router to see if this would make a difference and not entering all the login details on the borrowed router correctly on the first couple of attempts. I have tried three different routers.

This suggests to me that there is some kind of broadband fault.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the detail.

I've raised a broadband fault and I've added a reply to your fault ticket 187479858. 

Once you've replied to this with the requested information could you drop us a reply over here so we can pick this up as soon as we can and book the appointment for an engineer to visit in. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
highside57PN
Hooked

Thank you for your response.

I have responded to the ticket with the necessary information.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for your time on the phone.

As discussed, I've booked you in for an engineer visit tomorrow 16/02/2019 between 1pm and 6pm.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
highside57PN
Hooked

Hi,

The engineer called me early in the afternoon to let me know that there was a problem in the green cabinet.  Apparently the fibre cards were upgraded on the 14th but not reinstalled correctly, 50 odd people were impacted in the same way I was.  He said he would raise a job for the cards to be correctly reinstalled and there was no need for him to visit my home.  The internet came back up late in the afternoon and appears to be working fine since then.

Thank you for your help with this.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers for the update, I'm glad to see the problem was quickly identified and sorted out. Thumbs_Up

Let us know if you need any further assistance.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet