cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to VDSL but still on ADSL speeds

Firion
Hooked

Connected to VDSL but still on ADSL speeds

Hi, I had work done today to upgrade to fibre but my speeds have not increased although the hub indicates i'm connected at the speeds i should be getting?

vdsl.JPG

I've tried to reset the router but download speeds have stayed the same. I'm still getting the same as previous adsl speeds?

9 REPLIES 9
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Connected to VDSL but still on ADSL speeds

Hi @Firion

Welcome to the forums.

I think you will find that Plusnet haven't increased your Plusnet Line Speed which you can find at https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed (Login Required)

To get it set correctly, it may be faster to either Phone or use Chat and ask for the "Plusnet Line Speed" to be set correctly.

Once that has been done, and you have verified it by using the link above, log onto your router, click "Disconnect", wait a minute and then click "Connect" to get the new speeds.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Firion
Hooked

Thank you SpendLessTime, I've just called them up to get the line speed changed. It's now showing 37Mb instead of 17Mb on that link. But I just did a speed test and it's just ever slightly faster than before. I've reset the router again to make sure but same results,  is this normal?

supernoodles
Grafter

is your sync speed around 37? if so i had a similar issue where i was connected at around 40 but my speed tests etc were capped at 29 so i called in and they told me to turn off my router for 5 mins while they change something and then called me back and the issue was solved

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules

Firion
Hooked

Router shows I'm sync'd at 39770kpbs down, 1999kpbs up. So all seems ok there.  I'll have to call in again tomorrow if it doesn't resolve itself overnight 😕

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Firion

No that doesn't sound correct especially after a router reboot/reset. You might want to try another speedtest site like ThinkBroadBand at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html just to back up the Ookla results.

You have a good sync speed too so nothing should be limiting the download speed.

Plusnet like to see the result from the BTW Speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/PerformanceTesterWS/diagnostics.do , just enter your phone number and click "Run Diagnotic Test". The last result is stored so that Plusnet can access it, good if it shows a slow line. It will return your BTW IP Profile as well as a speed test result and hopefully the IP Profile will be set correctly. If not then contact Plusnet in the morning. 

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Firion
Hooked

I wasn't able to use the btspeedtest, results page shows

"No Fibre to the Premises (FTTP) services have been found at this address. Please check the postcode or use the Telephone Number or Service ID to conduct the test.
Click here to try again"

I've tried multiple times to make sure but same results. So something must be amiss here.

Here's the thinkbroadband results

I noticed the burst speed does reach my max line potential in the first couple seconds of the download, then it drops back down.

Edit:editip.JPG

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

When you run the BTWholesale further diagnostics, you just enter your home phone number in the top box leaving the bottom two blank.
I'll also take a look into things tomorrow morning for you. 🙂
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Firion
Hooked

It seems to have fixed itself after midnight, i'm now getting the correct speeds. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Awesome, I'm glad that you're getting your fibre speeds now. I've been unable to locate your account, however my assumption is that your order hadn't possibly fully completed.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button