cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected but no internet

seales21

Connected but no internet

Hi 

Over the last 3-4 days i seem to be not having any internet connection even tho devices are connected to th WiFi, it is happeneing on 2 x apple ipads, Bush Smart TV, Amazon Echo Dot. Moto G Pro and laptop.

All devices lose internet at the same time but stay connected to the WiFi. I have checked firmware of router and it is the latest version.

Thank You

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Connected but no internet

Hi @seales21 

A warm welcome to the forums.  What other checks have you done?

The way you describe the problems suggests that the router to the exchange link is the issue.  Router firmware is the most remotest of potential culprits.  Lets check the basics please...

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

Quite often when devices report "no internet" they mean there is no DNS resolution. You can check whether that is the problem by trying a fixed IP address - e.g. if "ping bbc.co.uk" fails but "ping 1.1.1.1" works then there is an internet connection but no DNS.

In that case rebooting the router (or getting a better one) may help.

If both fail, then there may really be no internet connection (although that should be apparent from the lights on the router).

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @seales21 and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see you're having connection issues.

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues with your router getting full 80mbps download and 20mbps upload. Do you notice if the light on the front of your router changes colour by itself when your connection drops? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still