Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected, No Internet Connection

Jamiesmith78

Connected, No Internet Connection

Hi

Bit of a mixed bag, hence the new post.

I've had Plusnet in for about a month and found that at random times my wireless devices loss connection to the web. As with other users, wired connections are fine. It also appears to effect some devices, not all devices and appears to be random.

For example there maybe 3 or 4 mobiles, 2 laptops and an xbox one connected by wireless and only the laptop and 1 phone will disconnect. This is not a consistent pattern, sometimes different devices will disconnect and the previous problematic devices will be fine.

Typically on a mobile disconnecting and reconnecting the wifi is sufficient. My main problem is the laptops.

I find that if I try and disconnect and reconnect by entering the network key I get either an issue saying that I'm connected, but no internet connection or I get an error saying I cannot connect using my credentials. I know the details are correct because they are fine on my phone and I have checked the case, num lock copying and pasting and also entering the same details on another device. I also know the wireless is OK because I can tether the laptop to my moile which is connected to the wifi.

My confusion with the laptops comes because I find that if I forget the network, use the WPS button on the router and then try and connect again, this works on one laptop. The concern I have with this, besides the obvious security flaw, is that if I have 1 laptop connected and I use the WPS button to connect another, it disconnects the first laptop. I then end up with the problem connecting the oririnal laptop again. I also need to connect Chromebooks which do not appear to have the ability to connect via the WPS option.

Does anyone know what the setting in the router is that would prevent certain devices connecting using the network key, or what in Windows would cause a device to fail connection using the key, but work with WPS.

Both laptops are running Windows 10
Chromebooks are latest Google software
I have tried disabling the 5GHZ wireless and just running 2.4ghz
The channel selection is set to automatic
The routers fireware is 4.7.5.1.83.8.263