cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect drop outs, but not a line problem - any useful diagnostics we can do?

FIXED
Isogen

Connect drop outs, but not a line problem - any useful diagnostics we can do?

Hi all, 

We're on Plusnet Fibre, which is generally great and line speed is excellent. However we have relatively regular drop outs (couple of times a day, most days); websites just stop responding, Windows status in the task bar shows no internet connectivity, etc which last anywhere from 30 seconds to three of four minutes. 

Line testing from the Plusnet side is showing that there are no line issues, and the router is happily showing a "blue light" stable connection when these drop-outs happen. The issue impacts devices connected over Ethernet cable and WiFi, so it doesn't seem related to the mechanism of connection.

One of the first questions the support team asked was whether there is any pattern to the drop outs, but I've honestly not kept a log of it and it would be a pain to do by hand.

Are there any recommend tools for monitoring and reporting on this type of connection stability issue from the client-side which I can just leave running for a few weeks to try and build up a picture of the frequency and duration of occurence?

I'm a software developer, so happy with command line tools and to write scripts to glue things together if needed, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if there was a good out-of-the-box solution which is recommended ...

Cheers, 
P

7 REPLIES 7
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Connect drop outs, but not a line problem - any useful diagnostics we can do?

Fix

Hi @Isogen, thanks for getting in touch. I'm sorry for the issues you're having.

I have run some checks & tests this morning but nothing looks out of the ordinary; the connection looks to be stable, there are no faults or errors being detected, the usage looks fine and there's no congestion being seen at your VLAN.

Can you please advise if at the time the issue occurs, are you able to log in to the router (via 192.168.1.254) and if so, does this show everything is connected?

Do you have a device that you are able to manually change the DNS servers on? If so, can you please change the DNS to the following:

Primary 212.159.13.49

Secondary 212.159.13.50

and when the problem occurs again, check if you are able to get online with this device or see if it is also impacted?

If you could please get back to us with this info, it will help us narrow down where the issue may lie.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
danludlow
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Connect drop outs, but not a line problem - any useful diagnostics we can do?

I'm getting similar dropouts throughout every day. My PlusNet Hub One was replaced due to this, it hasn't made any difference and I've been living with it. Exactly the symptoms as described. If the connection remains up one assumes that maybe the router has a flaw, perhaps new firmware is needed?

If @lsogen has a different router maybe there's another fault? Being on Hub One I am locked into the DNS you highlight, (BT DNS?), is it possible that this is wobbly? Can Hub One be directed at say Google's DNS?

Over to you.

Raybybaby

Hi

I’m having a similar problem. I’ve been with Sky Fibre for over 5 years and I can’t recall the connection ever dropping once. It was excellent. I’ve been with Plusnet now for a couple of weeks and the number of dropouts is ridiculous. I work from home with VOIP for my calls and whenever it drops, so do my work calls. Incredibly frustrating!

The router flashes orange and the broadband light shows red when these dropouts occur. After a few minutes, normal connection is restored.

They’ve tested the line, no issues. I’ve used the same filter and cables that I used with the Sky router and it’s still the same. I’ve a new hub on its way to me but I don’t see how that will solve the issue.

I want to cancel and go back to Sky, because this is a very poor service. Wish I never switched now. Very poor to be telling people that you’ve got to see the contract through (as per similar posts) even though the connection is clearly faulty.
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @danludlow, in your case we can see the drops occurring, I have responded to you in more detail on your other post.

Hi @Raybybaby, I am really sorry that you too are having issues. I can see there are some drops ocurring but a test on your line hasn't highlighted any faults that may cause this.

If you are already connected in the test socket (as shown here), can you please raise a fault here and let us know once done so that we can investigate further for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Isogen

Thanks Lauren, 

Will give these diagnostics a go next time the problem happens when I'm at the PC

Cheers,
P

Isogen

Hi @LaurenB 

Just to close this one out - I've changed the DNS settings on my main PC to the two you provided. I can confirm that this seems to have solved the problem; I've not noticed any connection drop-outs since the change was made.

Thanks for the help.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Glad to hear it @Isogen.

Give us a nudge if you need further assistance.

Thanks.