cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congrats Plusnet... your network seems to be struggling to process a few mbps!

mlmclaren
Grafter

Congrats Plusnet... your network seems to be struggling to process a few mbps!

As per the title, I have a Plusnet FTTC connection synced at 64000/19999kbps.... I have an Apple Update crawling at around 500-600kbps and my normal latency of 10ms has leaped to around 70-80ms....
However the weird part is if I run a speed tests to various places around the world I don't really have any missing bandwidth... so whats [Censored] up now Plusnet???
Oh and packet loss has started early today... one of your links has an issue!
Has been like this for too damn long !  Angry
Also [Censored] of with the laggy browsing... why don't you just go back to selling ADSL and Dial Up.... you obviously haven't upgrade any of the network since those days anyway!
UPDATE: Pings have dropped to normal again now but download is still crawling at stupidly slow speeds and still packet loss on certain routes!
14 REPLIES 14
mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Congrats Plusnet... your network seems to be struggling to process a few mbps!

Once again... fixed it myself... turns out it was yet another issue relating to your shitty gateways.... PCL-BNG01... I'm on Telehouse West now... I suppose someone at Plusnet will be kicking me back to City Lifeline later again...
You really have sunk deeper than the titanic Plusnet.... how can you change so much in 6 months!  Shocked Crazy
mlmclaren
Grafter

Re: Congrats Plusnet... your network seems to be struggling to process a few mbps!

Ooooh would you lucky at this, its failing again!

For those who give a [Censored], the gateway i'm currently on it Telehouse West's ptw-bng01... so not just the CityLifeline gateways/endpoints/links that are useless!
I'm supposed to get 60meg BTW!
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

We all know PN gateway are useless for long period. I don't think PN isn't bother to upgrade new capacity on the gateway! And where the hell is Plusnet Staff Kelly?
mlmclaren
Grafter

Aye! Only seems to be getting worse from what I can see and experiencing... I wanted to hold off the escape from Plusnet until after moving home but its getting that bad now that its stopping the home office and home functioning properly....
Ended up losing 2 hours in the office today due to a really slow downloading of an update from Apple's Update servers... and then when it finally downloaded the first time it was corrupt... maybe due to the packet loss I was seeing... so then attempted again, still slow... so last resort, gateway hop... fixed the issue! update was then download in 5 minutes... installed in 15 minutes and then I got back to my tasks...
Now streaming is becoming an issue... someone is upstairs currently streaming and if I tune the sonos in to radio once I type this message it will start skipping and buffering upstairs.... weird though as I have enough bandwidth to do both... even with the single thread only being 8-10meg....  Undecided
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

I heard Pulse8 (talktalk business) are no issues and far the best out there at the moment but u are paying more expensive thought! And better customer service than useless PN. Pulse8 are one month contract. No traffic management. No silly IP Profile by TTB.
mlmclaren
Grafter

That's who I'm looking at currently..., no contract option will be suitable too as were due to move in the next 4 -28 weeks Cheesy lol
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Just spoken with Pulse8, it was like talking to PN about 3 years ago! Got straight through, no delay & a very positive response & only slightly more expensive than PN. I'll be on my way v.soon.  Wink
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: goldenfibre
I heard Pulse8 (talktalk business) are no issues and far the best out there at the moment but u are paying more expensive thought! And better customer service than useless PN. Pulse8 are one month contract. No traffic management. No silly IP Profile by TTB.

They seem ok, have an ADSL2+ line with them as a backup to my plusnet FTTC, Did see some brief packetloss to it from my smokeping boxes the other night but it lasted all of a few minutes and was resolved.
Did think of calling them up and upgrading it to FTTC but then I'd have both lines terminating on the same DSLAM/MSAN which is what I wanted to avoid, Cant do much about the ADSL line passing through the same ducts/exchange though.
Also the Apple issue might just be Apple's CDN rather than plusnet, I forced a fail-over to the pulse8 line a few days ago when downloading an OSX update and it wasn't any faster from them.
mlmclaren
Grafter

Quote from: dragon2611
Also the Apple issue might just be Apple's CDN rather than plusnet, I forced a fail-over to the pulse8 line a few days ago when downloading an OSX update and it wasn't any faster from them.

I was thinking that myself but it seems to be affecting all Apple CDN connections and then hopping gateway suddenly fixes the issue... even with the downloads from Apple still coming in from the same server!!
Actually no interruption on the download at all as the downtime of a hop for me is about 7-12 seconds!
I found it not to affect just OS X beta downloads or Updates but also iOS app store downloads and updates!
lenny
Grafter

How would pulse 8 be on a market 1 exchange on adsl  ,should have a live cabinet for fiber in a couple of weeks , but running out of time to jump ship with out penalty
Cheers
mlmclaren
Grafter

Pulse8 can provide a line on Market 1 BT exchange (ADSL) but theirs a premium... if fibre is available I think Pulse8 provide over BT Wholesale as well as the TalkTalk backhaul they prefer to use...
lenny
Grafter

Yes there is a premium as I found out , but they phoned me and enabled me to cancel the order , will have to wait now till fibre is enabled to jump ship
Alucidnation
Rising Star

Just looking at Pulse8, however, they seem to charge £30.00 for a self install if you already have an OR modem and filtered faceplate???
How dos that work then?
Crazy
mlmclaren
Grafter

Apparently thats what they are charged by BT/OR to do activation!
and pass it on to us as theres no contract!  Undecided