cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confusing email from Plusnet about incorrect setup of broadband speed for my account?

FIXED
frgtmnt9

Confusing email from Plusnet about incorrect setup of broadband speed for my account?

I've received a confusing email from Plusnet stating:

"We've recently become aware of a problem with your broadband, which means you have been set-up on Unlimited Fibre Extra (66Mbps average download speed) rather than the Unlimited Fibre product (36Mbps average download speed) that you signed up to."

I'm assuming the '66Mbps average download speed' means a 80/20 fibre product, and the '36Mbps average' is a 40/10 fibre product - although I'm guessing at the upload speeds given they don't appear anywhere clearly on the Plusnet site? 

My confusion is particularly around why I'm being told I'm on an 80/20 fibre line when the last communication I had about my fibre line from Plusnet indicated I was being put on a 55/10 fibre line? I was specifically moved to that around mid-2016 by Plusnet because I was on an old legacy Unlimited Fibre product that gave 40/20 that they weren't able to sustain (something about it being an Openreach 80/20 fibre product limited to 40/20 speeds by Plusnet according to the press at the time I think?).

I've found the email from 30th June 2016 specifically detailing the change to my account:

(Thu, 30 Jun 2016)
Broadband download speeds are important for most of the stuff you do online such as browsing, streaming TV, watching videos, gaming and downloading files. So we’re increasing the download speed limit of your fibre broadband from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb‡, which means you might find your connection gets faster. We’re also making some changes to the maximum upload speed from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb. These changes are happening on 1st August.

I was particularly annoyed at the time about being moved from the legacy 40/20 speed to 55/10 as I used the upload speeds for uploading photos/videos/backups etc, but the increase in download speed at least made up a bit for the drop in upload speed.

I've been on 55/10 since that change as far as I'm aware (I get a pretty consistent 49.5Mbps down and 9.5Mbps up), so why are Plusnet claiming I'm still on an incorrect 80/20 product?

This is looking to me like a slightly under-hand attempt to get me off the particular product I was put on as a legacy customer, and I certainly don't want to be reduced further now to 40/10 (again I have to assume the upload speed wouldn't change - it's not made clear in any way?).

8 REPLIES 8
jimbob81
Grafter

Re: Confusing email from Plusnet about incorrect setup of broadband speed for my account?

@frgtmnt9

Exactly the same for me: https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Plusnet-error-with-broadband-speed/td-p/1618953

Would be nice if someone from Plusnet could comment to clear this up!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: Confusing email from Plusnet about incorrect setup of broadband speed for my account?

Fix

Hi @frgtmnt9 and @jimbob81, thanks for your posts.

We're sorry for the confusing email. We've essentially run a script to determine which customers are on incorrect or no longer used profiles, and both accounts flagged up.

To ensure you don't lose any speed, I've requested that we keep you both on the Legacy 55/10 product, rather than it being moved onto the correct (40/10) equivalent.

It's worth noting that if either of you do decide to re-contract, we won't be able to offer a 55/10 service at all - it's not a product that we sell any more and so you would need to either select a 40/10 or 80/20 package.

I hope this helps but please let me know if you need any further assistance at all.

frgtmnt9

Hi Owen,

Thanks for the clarification, and of course sorting things in the background so my account won't be affected - it's much appreciated!

I was aware a re-grade to 40/10 would happen if I re-contracted or changed product, hence part of the reason I've left the account well alone as I'm happy with the deal as it is on this legacy 55/10. Hopefully if there's an automated script run in the future like this it will take into account legacy products as I see now looking through the forum there appear to be quite a few people in a similar state of confusion over what is happening to their legacy accounts. 

Thanks again!

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @frgtmnt9 , thanks for getting back to me.

I agree - I've definitely noticed many a post related to this issue and so will ensure that your feedback is passed up the chain to (hopefully) avoid the confusion in future.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch should you need any further assistance at all.

dparr1959
Grafter

I have just received the same email and have been with plusnet for over 5 years

and i think i am also on the Legacy 55/10 product,?

screenshot-www.dslchecker.bt.com-2019.03.06-19-51-46.png

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @dparr1959, I can see that @Gandalf has picked this up on your other post.

If we can assist further, please just get back to us.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
dparr1959
Grafter

Just did a BT performance test not the 55 Mbps i was getting before ?

Broadband Speed Test Results

Download Speed (Mbps): 47.92

Upload Speed (Mbps) : 8.16

Ping Latency (ms): 28

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @dparr1959,

I'm sorry that your speed has dropped and for any inconvenience that this is causing you. I can see that @Gandalf has now picked this up on the other thread.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team