cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about setup (new customer, new to fibre)

LukasD
Dabbler

Confused about setup (new customer, new to fibre)

I recently signed up for Plusnet fibre, and it's due to go live on thursday.  It was stated multiple times that an engineer would come out to set it all up, and I was given a date & time for his visit.  I contacted customer support today to rearrange the visit, and I was told that no engineer is actually coming, and in fact it's not even needed.

I was under the impression that a modem needs to be installed and my master socket needs upgrading (it's a first generation NTE5 with a 25 year old faceplate).  Is this not the case?  The rep I spoke to said I can "just connect the router via a microfilter" and that's all that needs to be done.

So now I'm confused.  DO I need a modem?  And DO I need a new faceplate?

14 REPLIES 14
malkpm
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Confused about setup (new customer, new to fibre)

I am also looking for calrification as to whether an installation visit is required.

Below you can see what is on my order status. Will I have to be available at % ?

Assume router will turn up before the 21st.

Broadband

Unlimited Fibre Broadband

Your order is due to complete

The engineer appointment to install your broadband service is booked for %appointmentDate%between %appointmentStartTime% and %appointmentFinishTime%.

Unavailable at this time? Change it up to two working days before - just call us on 0800 432 0200.

If you've ordered a router it will arrive before your activation date. Please don't connect it until we confirm you're active.

waynepyrah
Grafter

Unless something has changed you need an engineer visit to install the special socket for the fibre router

Don't think customer services have a clue... its gone a bit downhill with the customer experience recently Sad

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@waynepyrah wrote:

Unless something has changed you need an engineer visit to install the special socket for the fibre router

Back in January when I ordered fibre broadband no engineer visit was required.

router-microfilter-phone

malkpm
Rising Star

Thanks. I will have to be available at % time.
Thought that as it was fttc nothing this end would change as it's still copper cable.
I wait with interest.
Andrue
Pro

If it is standard 'fibre broadband' (VDSL) then no engineer is required. You can just use a micro filter as you can with ADSL. In fact you don't even need to change the filter they will work with either service. It's possible that a filtered faceplate might improve the connection speed but if it was okay with ADSL it'll likely be okay with VDSL.

There is a small chance that the OP is having 'proper' (FTTP) fibre installed in which case they will need an engineer but such installs are still very uncommon.

@LukasD if you're unsure the difference is that you will need an engineer if your speed estimate included a 330/30 service. If the most your estimate mentioned was 80/20 no engineer is needed.

But if it's VDSL I'm rather saddened (but not hugely surprised) that PN are still sending letters out saying that an engineer is required. It's not been required for nearly a year now.

malkpm
Rising Star

Thanks for that. Its as I thought. 

I tried ringing pl but after 10 mins gave up. Same for the online chat. I do hope that I wont need to contact them in the future.

If any one from pl reads this then may i suggest a more clear and unambiguous letter. When I look at the order tracking is states an engineer is due at %.

This is poor communication and feel sure it generates extra load on your helpdesks.

New customer feeling unsure about the future service.

Andrue
Pro

@malkpm wrote:

If any one from pl reads this then may i suggest a more clear and unambiguous letter. When I look at the order tracking is states an engineer is due at %.

This is poor communication and feel sure it generates extra load on your helpdesks.

New customer feeling unsure about the future service.

Aye. They did the same thing to me when I joined a few years ago. In my case engineer installs were still standard but as I was migrating from another ISP one wasn't needed in my case. They still sent that email though 😕

PN's communication has always been poor in my experience. Luckily the actual service is usually excellent (give or take the problems in the first half of last year).

If in doubt ask here. The guys and gals that keep an eye out on the forum are a lot more clued up and seem more willing to get problems fixed.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@malkpm@Andrue I believe that issue is due to be fixed over the next couple of weeks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Andrue
Pro

Yay \o/

Smiley

LukasD
Dabbler

So there definitely is no engineer coming?  And I don't need a special modem?  And I don't need a new faceplate/master socket?  (Mine is no less than 25 years old).

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@LukasD Yes that's correct. The work is done externally.

If you're having issues after and a engineer goes out they'll most likely update the faceplate.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Andrue
Pro

It's exactly the same as for ADSL.

If you have asked PN to send you their router then you should have all you need to get up and running (I'm assuming the PN router is shipped with appropriate cabling).

However as with ADSL you will need micro filters for any other equipment that you have plugged into telephone sockets.

If you are upgrading from ADSL to VDSL you just need to swap out your old router for the PN supplied box. No need for an engineer. Nothing to worry about except for dust in the nose and carpet burns on the knees from crawling around behind desks to reach power and phone sockets:)

If you are sourcing your own router then whether or not you need a modem depends on what router you are going to use. If you are intending to use existing ADSL kit it will work..at ADSL speeds only.

malkpm
Rising Star

All this could have been avoided with clear communication.

I wonder how many new customers have taken the day off work for an engineer visit on the installation day?

LukasD
Dabbler

Took until midnight to actually go live, but looks like everything's good.