cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Confused about actual ADSL broadband speed I should get! Do I need new master socket installation?

FIXED
ted_w

Confused about actual ADSL broadband speed I should get! Do I need new master socket installation?

Hi,

If I use this link to test my broadband speed:

https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/details

Most of the time I get 8-12ms ping time, about 54Mbps download and 1.6Mbps upload. Sometimes, randomly, I drops to about 28Mbps download. Plusnet said I won't get 'super fast' in my area and 36Mbps is the average which tallies with that reading I'm seeing I suppose.

However, if I try any 'independent' speed test website, like https://www.speedtest.net, I get a result of at best about 13Mbps.

The Plusnet router DSL connection status page is reporting 15.8Mbps download and 1.8Mbps upload right now.

I understand these two tests work quite differently, but I don't understand how or what the difference in the numbers means. Does it indicate that I need to fix something in the house? Or is everything fine and what I'm seeing quite normal?

My computer is connected by ethernet cable to the Plusnet Hub and nobody else in the house is using the internet when I test it.

I'm not sure about the quality of the wiring and the master box is quite far (about 8 metres) from the old BT junction box where the phone line actually comes into the house. The wiring in this old junction box looks a bit messy to me, and note that the junction is upstream from the master socket which I've read is not good.

Any advice much appreaciated. Thanks!

Ted

6 REPLIES 6
ted_w

Re: Confused about actual ADSL broadband speed I should get! Do I need new master socket installatio

Where I say "Plusnet said I won't get 'super fast' in my area" I meant they said "unlimited extra" with 66Mbps is not available where I live.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Confused about actual ADSL broadband speed I should get! Do I need new master socket installatio

To help understand if you have a problem can you post the details from the BT availability checker

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL for your phone number ( blank out the phone number before posting the details since this is a public forum )

and the helpdesk details from the router , logon to the router and go to troubleshooting, helpdesk ( again blank out the username before posting )

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@ted_w  If you are not on fibre extra the BT speed test of 54Mbps is impossible and if your router connection speed is 15.8Mbps a speed of 28Mbps is also not possible. For the connection speeds quoted the Speedtest.net result looks about right.

The info from the checker as suggested by MisterW will give a better idea of the speeds you should expect.

ted_w

Thanks for the help! Please see the attached ... does this shed any light on whether my broadband is as expected?

1.jpg2.jpg

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Fix

You should probably forget about your speed test results, some how the way you are doing them is not helping.

However, the DSL Checker shows that you are getting much slower speeds than you should be. 

Reporting a speed fault to PN should get an engineer out to install a filtered master socket. feed the engineer with chocy buiscuits and he/she may sort out your other wiring.

Before that though, is your line quiet? Dial 17070 option 2.

ted_w

Thanks for confirming that for me. I will see about getting an engineer over.

All the best,

Ted