cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring TP-Link W8960N Router for Fibre

jrichards226
Fixes: 1

Configuring TP-Link W8960N Router for Fibre

I have done some searches but not found an answer yet, so posting a new topic - sorry if there is another thread covering it.
As with other members I have found the WiFi on the Plusnet supplied router very poor and constantly dropping connections. I have a TP-Link W8960N router (Ver 3.0) which I believe can be configured for fibre, but try as I may I cannot connect to the internet. I have been given some settings by Plusnet support - Encapsulation Type PPPoE, username, and asked to put my account password in - but although I understand I need to configure one LAN port for WAN to attach the BT Openreach modem, I am not sure how to do this. I have upgraded the router to the latest firmware and been through the setup process a hundred times, but still struggling.
I see some of you use the W8960N with fibre, so can you help me? I would be very grateful.
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Configuring TP-Link W8960N Router for Fibre

Hi, looking at the manual, it seems to be pages 16,17 & 18. You need to select which LAN port to use as a WAN port and then select that for the WAN service and configure it for PPPoE.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jrichards226

Thanks MisterW, much appreciated, but should I configure it as ATM or ETH?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

ETH
As shown on section 4.4.1.2
Goto Advanced Setup->Layer2 Interface->ETH and create a new Layer 2 ETH interface , selecting the LAN port you wish to use as the WAN port.
Then as described in Section 4.4.2
Goto Advanced Setup->WANService
Select the new Layer 2 interface you created above and configure it for PPPoE using your plusnet username/password.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jrichards226

Thanks again MisterW, I'll let you know how I get on  :).
jrichards226

Grin Brilliant, MisterW, all worked a treat! Your instructions were spot on, and I'm very grateful. Many thanks  Grin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks for letting us know, happy to be of help Smiley

Slipnslide91

Hi misterW, i am having exactly the same issue i trying to set my newly brough tplink td-w8960n router up for use with my plusnet fibre but i dont quite understand the instructions you have given thw OP, could you give me a complete breakdown on the instructions including which router shoukd be plugged into the main socket, so on

Thanks
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@Slipnslide91 You realise that the td-w8960 will not work on it's own on Fibre ? You need a VDSL modem like the BT Openreach one.

Which modem do you have ?

edit: I see you've only just bought the 8960, if you can return it you might be better off getting the td-w9970 which is comparable in spec with the 8960 but has a built in VDSL modem and so you would not require any additional modem. It's available for both Currys and Argos for £29.99