cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerns raised to try and stop me moving to Plusnet

FIXED
Dogbot

Re: Concerns raised to put try and stop me moving to Plusnet

Funny isn't it about the argey between BT and PN?

It's also remarkable how so many BT customers end up going to PN

Plusnet and Openreach are owned by BT

Bobsta
Grafter

Interesting thread.

I’d been with PN for two years and as I was out of contract I thought I’d take up BT on one of theitntempting offers. No connection fee, shiny new Smart Hub, reward card and cash back - all for a similar monthly fee as I’d been paying PN.

Big mistake. My service from PN was great. I live a long way from my cabinet so only sync’d at 1999kbps up and around 23000kbps down. Switching to BT I’m getting around 2350kbps up and 19500 down. I don’t mind that as I appreciate the extra upstream bandwidth.

However, the throughout at peak times is appalling. All our TVs are Ethernet wired to the router yet in the evenings we now get buffering when trying to watch catch up TV on iPlayer or similar.

Ping speeds all check out to be as low as they were before but real-time gaming (such as Clash Royale) has hugely noticeable lag to the point of being unplayable.

I’m gutted. Should’ve stayed with PN. Everyone else in my village is clearly with BT and their backhaul can’t cope with the traffic. Sad

If I could get out of my BT contract and go back to PN I would.
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

When I made the jump from BT to PN I became aware that other than the backhaul, not much was changing as I was staying on the same Openreach 80/20 product and using the same hardware to the cabinet. Also, that fundamentally it was still part of the BT group. So other than the backhaul, the risk was fairly low, which after the money side, was really important to me. (Yes, due to PN's new customer offers and lower base prices you can easily save some money and returning to BT will trigger the new customer offers again in a few months if needed - win-win?!).

What I've seen in my case and can been seen in a number of other threads on here at the moment, is loss of performance due to the DLM reset. As I mentioned earlier, I wish they hadn't done that as the last leg of copper from the cabinet to my router has lost the profile that knew how to get the optimum performance from my line. However, over time that will come back again - I hope! In reality, although on paper I've "temporarily" lost 14Mb, its not making any real difference to the families browsing/streaming/downloading etc.

What is also interesting now I've done a trace route on PN, is that whilst the immediate hops are now with PN, they do seem to handback to BT, but I'm no expert if that has any relevance Smiley;

25.598 ms peer2-et-10-1-0.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.127.7)

20.454 ms peer5-hu0-11-0-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net (195.99.127.5) 20.018 ms

My point though when changing providers is considering the old "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule and that included not changing anything on my side, ie to continue to use the same Home Hub 5B router.  This leads me to your post @Bobsta. It sounds like you are on the same Openreach 40/10 product but using the BT Smart Hub. I used the BT Smart Hub 6 "A" from the early days and lived through many firmware updates. Yes, it has better wi-fi strength and the performance (for me anyway) back to the cabinet was identical to the 5B. BUT, after over 12 months of using it, I got so fed up with all sorts of random problems on my home network, I ended up plugging the 5B back in. OMG, it was like having an old reliable friend back, all the random issues disappeared! Since then I've stayed with the 5B.

SO, finally to my point, why don't you give your old Plusnet router a go with your BT Infinity connection? All you need to do is change your old Plusnet connection name (xxxxxx@plusdsl.net) to bthomehub@btbroadband.com . The password does not need setting and so can just be left as it is. Nothing to loose by trying this for a week or so, especially as you know it was working for you previously. Just a thought Shocked (I've assumed you have kept the same wifi SSID and password details on both routers).

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@Dogbot wrote:

Funny isn't it about the argey between BT and PN?

Agreed - Its quite unprofessional the miss-information given to me by BT about PN to "frighten" me to stay with them, even though they are part of the same group of companies. I guess its all down to personal bonuses staff get to retain customers and each company having to meet their own individual targets Huh