Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerns raised to try and stop me moving to Plusnet

FIXED
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Concerns raised to try and stop me moving to Plusnet

I have ordered Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra moving from BT Infinity 2.

BT are now coming back with how I will loose out by doing this;

1) Loss of speed, they are adamant I will not get what I do with them. Looking at my statistics attached, should these stay the same as I understand its just a "software" changeover? Specifically will I still get the 3db download "policy"?

2) Although the Plusnet website says there is no traffic management, BT say Plusnet are well known for the very detailed way they DO manage traffic, or their traffic prioritisation as they like to call it. Is this right and what does it mean?

All very clever to put people off leaving BT?
33 REPLIES 33
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Concerns raised to put try and stop me moving to Plusnet

Hi there.

1) Looking at my statistics attached, should these stay the same as I understand its just a "software" changeover?

It looks like you're on a 80/20 product at the moment and as Unlimited Fibre Extra is also 80/20 it should stay the same.

Specifically will I still get the 3db download "policy"?

It's difficult to say as that's governed by the dynamic line management (DLM) in the exchange, which an ISP doesn't really have control over. It's possible DLM may reset the line as part of the 48 hour training period of the new connection which may remove the 3db profile, but given time it may return.

2) Although the Plusnet website says there is no traffic management, BT say Plusnet are well known for the very detailed way they DO manage traffic, or their traffic prioritisation as they like to call it. Is this right and what does it mean?

We removed it for Unlimited products earlier in the year. It didn't prioritise one customer's traffic over another customer's. It basically prioritised traffic within your own network. For example, if you're saturating your connection by downloading a lot of things, it'd have given priority to those tasks that need the extra bandwidth, i.e. gaming and VOIP calls.

I'd say it's difficult to saturate your connection with the speeds you're getting.

If you're interested in learning more, have a read of this guide: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
idmanager
Hooked
Fixes: 1

@dgilbert2 I am in the process of moving to plusnet from BT after there price raise and I have got all the same things happening to me, they told me plusnet will not supply the same speed as them and at busy times I will be getting a poor service, they even made me cancel btsports lite that they give me for free via another call to them after they sent emails saying I will still have to pay for a free service, I am glad I am moving to be honest there India call centre is not the best, and I can always move back in 12months if it’s not the service I was getting but you get what you pay for so I am not expecting perfection from plusnet, but I will find out on the 23rd when I switch 

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@idmanager @dgilbert2 you are both lucky in some ways, BT Retail should not be telling you that kind of stuff, did they offer you a better than bog standard deal? For sure they did not for me when I left.

The service provided by PN (who by the way are part of BT), gets the phone line from Openreach (the same as BT retail) and Broadband service from BT Wholesale (the same as BT retail). There are some differences in the backhaul network and support, but that is about it. So you should be expecting the same speeds as you got with BT, I know I did, and still do even though I am now with EE, another part of BT.

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

@Gandalf Thank you for your quick replie and information. This is really helpful to settle my concerns.

So there is every chance the cabinet to house side will remain the same, especially as the DLM reset cannot be triggered remotely. It should also be helped as I intend to use the same BT Home Hub 5b with Plusnet username/password. I just hope between the cabinet and the WWW itself I will see the same performance 🙂

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

@idmanager I hope your switch over goes to plan on the 23rd, please let me know in this thread how you find Plusnet after BT. Hopefully neither of us will see any difference in performance 🙂

Its a shame companies resort to these "scare" tactics, but in terms of Customer Service, in my experience it so depends who answers the phone as to whether things get resolved. Sadly I don't think there are any stars in this area!

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

@Mustrum In my case BT could not offer any retention deal, other than the same price as current package by agreeing to an 18m re-contract.

I hope the differences in the backhaul network does not change the overall performance I get now, as I've made my bed and got to lie in it! Fingers crossed I don't regret the savings I'll be see in my pocket!

Thanks for everyone's advice today, it has been appreciated.

dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Based on all the above I see I can add below @ £5 a month, why would I need this if Traffic Management was removed earlier in the year?;

Pro Add On

Upgrade your service for a prioritised connection, perfect for when you’re working from home. When you’ve got a busy household all online at the same time, Plusnet Pro prioritises key activities such as VPN access, software updates and FTP access so that you can get on with important work. Subject to a 1 month rolling contract.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

The Pro Addon is useful for slower lines where it’s relatively easy to saturate your connection.
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

Understood, thank you.

idmanager
Hooked
Fixes: 1

@dgilbert2, just got connected today and the speed is no different to the BT connection. Just hope it don’t start crawling in the next few hours With congestion on the network like my neighbour with sky 

I have added my connection stats and they look fine to me 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Happy to hear you're happy with your connection.

Let us know if you do experience any speed problems.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgilbert2
Aspiring Pro

@idmanager its good to see that your switch over has gone well. Looking at your stats you must be living in the cabinet 🙂

Hope the performance continues for you, my switch over is the 2nd of December so a few days to wait still.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

@Gandalf wrote:
The Pro Addon is useful for slower lines where it’s relatively easy to saturate your connection.

I can't believe that the Pro Add-On is still available! As far as I can see the only benefit of it is to Plusnet's coffers and it does very little for the user. Angry

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@dgilbert2

Keep us posted. Smiley

@jelv

It's useful for people with slower lines doing different type of activities at the same time that's saturating the connection.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet