rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Complete loss of service

Not good Ste , at least mine is just sporadic

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

customer support didnt seam [-Censored-] about my problems

sfgreenwood
Dabbler

I'm seeing an upstream failure to my work server in the US again, same path as this morning.

darklight1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Looks like its a on going problem, still not fixed it.

Andrue
Pro

i don't have the access to the figures to prove it.... but I bet one of the main benefits to the industry, would be to cut out the unnecessary fat!!

Now I don't understand what your argument is, because you seem to be agreeing with me.

If your point is that 'CPs should provide a better service' then fair enough. But meanwhile back in the real world what you want costs money. The point I'm making is that unless we as customers are prepared to pay more we're not going to get a better service. CPs are cutting support hours and only installing the minimum capacity and links because that's the only way they can survive.

Being a CP has never been a huge money spinner. They've always existed on the smallest of margins. In that environment no-one is going to invest in redundant capacity and few can justify the cost of out of hours support staff. The point I'm making is that if we want the kind of service that you seem to expect we're all going to have to agree to pay more.

Andrue
Pro

That may be true most of the time in the context of the service from Plusnet and some of the other ISPs, however when it comes to the "backbone network" which is primarily what @SpendLessTime's comment refers to, you only have to look at BT Group profits and Openreach failings to see that there is undoubtedly under-investment, so I've give your remark the contempt it deserves.

There has been no lack of investment by openreach. They have poured more money into the UK's network than any other CP. More importantly neither of these faults can be blamed on BT openreach so if that was really the poster's point then they were wrong to make it anyway. The issues here seem related to BT wholesale and its partners and BT wholesale is very much slave to Ofcom's pricing demands.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Andrue

I'm wrong? Sorry but I don't think so.

BT PLC should look at how much bad publicity and compensation these 2 outages have costed and compared to the cost of implementing autofailover of routes. Just spending money does not necessarily mean value, good service or even good investment. Any bunch of idiots can spend money, just look at Parliament for proof. It's a lot harder to spend wisely.

As it stands BT PLC look like a bunch of amateurs and having their brands all over the news pages 2 days in a row is BAD FOR BUSINESS. It also gives those incompetents at OFCOM and Parliament a chance to implement the world's most stupid idea of splitting Openreach out from the PLC and gifting the company to their friends like they did for gas, electric, water etc.

I'm leaving this thread as I know from your past posts that you will not change your view, nor I mine on this topic. But in future please try not to assume you are correct and every one else is wrong.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Andrue wrote:

That may be true most of the time in the context of the service from Plusnet and some of the other ISPs, however when it comes to the "backbone network" which is primarily what @SpendLessTime's comment refers to, you only have to look at BT Group profits and Openreach failings to see that there is undoubtedly under-investment, so I've give your remark the contempt it deserves.

There has been no lack of investment by openreach.

That I'm afraid is complete and utter drivel. Do you work in some senior position at Openreach?

The number of times I have read posts on here (and no doubt many others will have read them as well, but not you it would seem) where there has been fully identified seriously degraded cables to the point of almost barely supporting a phone call without noise, never mind broadband, and Openreach have refused to replace them, beggars belief. Such faults and degradation have been identified by Openreach's own engineers!

The way Openreach management now force it's engineers to work, even doing the basic checks when there are intermittent line issues is a non-starter if the initial test comes up NFF. This sort of situation is not helped by the fact that the JDSU's they are given are pretty poor at having any chance of finding an HR joint unless it's seriously bad.

Refusing to replace cables that are no longer fit for purpose IS under-investment, simples.

@Andrue wrote:

More importantly neither of these faults can be blamed on BT openreach so if that was really the poster's point then they were wrong to make it anyway. The issues here seem related to BT wholesale and its partners and BT wholesale is very much slave to Ofcom's pricing demands.

In the context of the OP and the issues yesterday morning, and again this morning, you are perfectly correct that this is not the fault of Openreach.  However, YOU were the one who linked to a (badly written) BBC article which is largely irrelevant to these incidents, and I seized upon the points about BT Group profits and Openreach failings to address the "never mind the quality, feel the width" remarks in the article. SpendLessTime's remarks were also about BT plc.

As this thread had pretty much served it's purpose once the 'loss of service' was identified as being a major incident on the backbone infrastructure, having taken the thread a little bit off-topic by your mention of the BBC article, I think it's rather nit-picking of you to effectively complain about the comments about "under-investment" by BT Group not being relevant.

@Andrue wrote:
For the pittance we all pay for domestic broadband we generally get a very good service.

Just on that point, for what most of us have to pay in line-rental (which of course subsidises the BB), I expect my line to be perfect (which touch wood it seems to be at present) and repaired properly first time should a fault occur, not after 7 or 8 visits. When a line is good, there are rarely problems with the broadband,
If engineers were allowed to properly do the job for which they had been trained, the the industry would be relieved of what has now become a huge costly burden in some places.

And finally, the consequences of the two outages have still not been fully overcome and there are still large numbers of people with degraded service. At the time of posting, BT Business Service Status -

Service_status_Help_BT_Business_-_2016-07-21_23.43.32.png

johnbullas
Hooked

[22/07/2016] Continued loss of FTCC connectivity was: Re: Complete loss of service

[22/07/2016] Anyone else appear to still be a victim of the mass outage earlier on in the week?

I am on the Hampton exchange here in sunny [south]Hampton and have been offline since Weds?

The service status seems to suggest that all is well in the world of FTCC, is this really the case

with Plusnet?

I too have just picked up an email letting me know that the Plusnet service I currently do not

have is going to go up in price....

Maybe I simply can Plusnet, move to the wilderness and take up spoon-whittling safe in the

knowledge that my unlimited mobile data + tethering with THREE that has been supporting

all the house comms pretty damn well since Wednesday could save me quite a few quit.

FTCC: frankly terrible cable connection? [I have reserved my language as there may be children watching]

Regards 

Dr B 

15 min wait for support on account of high caller demand

jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: [22/07/2016] Continued loss of FTCC connectivity was: Re: Complete loss of service

Have you got a spoon.

Lazy cat
https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
johnbullas
Hooked

Re: [22/07/2016] Continued loss of FTCC connectivity was: Re: Complete loss of service

No spoon, just a Netgear VEGN2610  that for some reason decided to reconfigure itself thereby disconnecting us. I checked the unit and all the settings were as they have always been, flicked a dropdown to PPPoA from PPPoE and it connected fine, the setting returns to PPPoE once connect and the disconnection had been the first in MONTHS

So I will keep an eye on this one and report back! 

Not Plusnets problem unless an attempt to interrogate my broadband router modem did it?

Pip pip 

Dr B 

New Picture (1).png

jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hopefully someone who knows more about your router will be able to help you.Smiley

https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/