cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete loss of service

ricke17
Grafter

Re: Complete loss of service

Looks like the same issues are affecting BT again this morning: https://twitter.com/BTCare/status/756032905361690624

Is this now going to have a knock on affect to us?

Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
nursemorph273
Grafter

Well, I'm not on Fibre but I've been having issues since 7:45am (the same time as the issues started yesterday!) where I can access most but not all websites..one or two started working again about 30 minutes ago but some still not

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Yep seeing issues here too, but not as bad as yesterday morning.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
SpendLessTime
Hero

Confirmed by Plusnet Twitter feed and email https://twitter.com/plusnethelp/status/756036423422279684

Edit for spelling

sfgreenwood
Dabbler

Confirm that transatlantic routing is struggling, looks like the routing fix that was put in yesterday is failing again. Which is nice.

SpendLessTime
Hero

From http://www.voipfonestatus.co.uk/incidents/qh874zmmzx3y

BT have confirmed there is a major outage in Telehouse North, London affecting our interconnect. Staff are on-site to resolve the issue as quickly as possible. We will keep you updated as soon as we have more information.
Posted 21 minutes ago. Jul 21, 2016 - 09:00 BST
jockwav
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I am with BT & having issues this morning.Shocked

https://www.flickr.com/photos/james_bingham/
darklight1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

It's playing havoc with my online ps4 gaming this morning, keeps booting me because of it.

sfgreenwood
Dabbler

I have an odd hop in a traceroute - please ignore if you're not bothered about these things. I know it's just the reverse lookup on the IP address but it seems very out of place in a trunk route:

8 t2c3-xe-0-0-0-0.nl-ams2.eu.bt.net (166.49.208.212) 21.248 ms t2c3-xe-1-0-0-0.nl-ams2.eu.bt.net (166.49.208.216) 21.232 ms t2c3-xe-2-0-1-0.nl-ams2.eu.bt.net (166.49.208.89) 21.166 ms
9 * * *
10 ip33.campbellclinic.com (216.54.199.33) 28.628 ms bbr2.xe1-2-0.inapbb-ams-lon-1000274.lon003.pnap.net (72.26.212.13) 28.562 ms ip33.campbellclinic.com (216.54.199.33) 29.390 ms
11 * * *
12 * * *

why would what appears to be an IP delegation for a clinic in Tennessee be showing up in a transatlantic route? Most likely that their DNS is wrong but I had this brief image of someone switching on their PC and the whole Internet routing through it...

psings
Dabbler

Probably a routing error by the NSA/GCHQ in their spy network upgrades!

Trying
Dabbler

@Andrue wrote:

Where do you get that crazy idea from?

Over ten years being involved in discussions about broadband from ISDN upward. I'm a regular contributor and follower of discussions on Thinkbroadband. I've also been involved in the specification and provision of leased lines for remot(ish) offices for a previous employer. I was also peripherally involved in discussions with BT when a relative tried to get their community to subsidise cabinet upgrades.

Broadband in the UK is amongst the cheapest in the world and is sold on price, not quality. You look at almost any discussion of 'What ISP should I choose?' and the discussion is almost always mostly about price.

If you look at superfast take-up you can see that most people choose the cheapest packages. Take-up of faster services is lower than it needs to be. VM keep having to close lower tier packages and upgrade customers for free. BT's 80/20 FTTC is being sold to fewer customers than it could be.

And by coincidence the Beeb ran an article on this very subject yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36833231

"The structure of our telecoms industry and the direction of our broadband strategy are, to a large extent, determined by the regulator Ofcom and by government ministers. Over the last decade, you could sum up their policy with those old retailers' maxims "pile it high, sell it cheap" or maybe "never mind the quality, feel the width"."

Everything has a value....
As for your experience, I am not going to doubt you.
What I will say, is look at the model of business that Plusnet was once running, apparently successfully, and the current opinion of many of the current Plusnet strategy. Notice any difference?

And with reference to that one source you quoted, I can quote several other articles that refer to other inadequacies in the industry. OK, nothing is perfect, we can only strive to do better in provision, and service, but with value for money in mind
i don't have the access to the figures to prove it.... but I bet one of the main benefits to the industry, would be to cut out the unnecessary fat!!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

YUP same as yesterday morning Sad  must have been fixed by Bob The Builder Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
SpendLessTime
Hero

Sort of ironic that yesterday I post about the lack of automatic failover at peering data centres which became a sub thread of value, then the next day another data centre loss and zero automatic rerouting. 

And now BT plc have 2 days of very bad publicity and their commercial customers screaming and getting compensation for bad service.

So the question is, how much value do BT plc put on bad publicity & compensation against resilient & automatic failover of networks?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@Andrue wrote:

@SpendLessTime wrote:

Yep back to life. Smiley Shame that BT plc do not have multiple peering paths for failover when 1 goes down. Just like today. Sad

Shame that people don't want to pay enough to fund the service they want.

For the pittance we all pay for domestic broadband we generally get a very good service.

That may be true most of the time in the context of the service from Plusnet and some of the other ISPs, however when it comes to the "backbone network" which is primarily what @SpendLessTime's comment refers to, you only have to look at BT Group profits and Openreach failings to see that there is undoubtedly under-investment, so I've give your remark the contempt it deserves.

As for the comments in the BBC article by RCJ, what ministers have had to say is largely irrelevant (most of the time they don't know what they are talking about when it comes to technical matters, and RCJ talks a load of .... at times). The only comment that is relevant is about the lack of regulation (by OFCOM). OFCOM have had ample opportunity to take Openreach to task and have failed to do so, even now they are only making veiled threats about splitting Openreach from the BT Group!

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

ive managed to get online but speeds are really bad. ive had no internet for over 48 hours and ive been told its down to bt outage in my area altho no one else i know is affected just seams like mine. Not sure how long my net will hold out atm Sad