cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complete loss of service

buseng12
Grafter

Re: Complete loss of service

Same problems here, many sites takes ages to load or not at all. The National Lottery being one, not very convenient on a lottery day. 

ricke17
Grafter

I'm getting this error page now whenever I try to navigate online.
Fibre Broadband 80/20, Netgear D7000
sylviesinc
Dabbler

It's very strange. This morning my husband's Yahoo mail would not load, I cannot get my Outlook mail to connect and friends have told me that BT, Santander and Barclays are also having problems! I also am having problems connecting to some websites but not all. I'm waiting for breaking news about a major cybercrime! When I check Outlook.com in www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/ it tells me it's just me yet www.downdetector.co.uk shows loads of people with problems connecting! (Yahoo seems to be back up however).

beeceegee
Pro
Fixes: 4

Well everything has suddenly burst back to life - just in time to watch the ISS capture the Dragon on NASAtv !

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Yep back to life. Smiley Shame that BT plc do not have multiple peering paths for failover when 1 goes down. Just like today. Sad

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
sylviesinc
Dabbler

Me too...my Outlook.com has just delivered all my email!

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Yup i am back on now Smiley  

time to try more sites

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Like the rail companies BTOR will blame the hot weather!!Crazy2

darklight1
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Yep all looks to be working fine again, gave me time to upgrade my storage in pc with internet down.

darklight1
Grafter

I think the internet is still abit wonky, on my ps4 now playing elder scrolls online, having trouble with the server.

Andrue
Pro

@SpendLessTime wrote:

Yep back to life. Smiley Shame that BT plc do not have multiple peering paths for failover when 1 goes down. Just like today. Sad

Shame that people don't want to pay enough to fund the service they want.

For the pittance we all pay for domestic broadband we generally get a very good service.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I pay what they ask me to and never complained about the cost. I cannot get any special offers from Plusnet so pay their full list price plus an uplift.

I'm not in a position to move my line to just any provider as the only ISP's I can go with are Plusnet, BT Retail, Zen, AAISP. That is the total list of ISP's' who can offer me a service.

And I really believe that BT plc should have redundancy in play so the when a peer fails then traffic is automatically router around it. It shouldn't need 3 to 4 hours to get that working.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Andrue
Pro

@SpendLessTime wrote:

I pay what they ask me to and never complained about the cost. I cannot get any special offers from Plusnet so pay their full list price plus an uplift.

I'm not in a position to move my line to just any provider as the only ISP's I can go with are Plusnet, BT Retail, Zen, AAISP. That is the total list of ISP's' who can offer me a service.

That's good. Sadly you're in the minority. Most people want the cheapest service they can get.

Trying
Dabbler

@Andrue wrote:

@SpendLessTime wrote:

Shame that people don't want to pay enough to fund the service they want.

For the pittance we all pay for domestic broadband we generally get a very good service.

Where do you get that crazy idea from?

There is a balance to be had in all things, and just like the generation battles over sex equality... it swings backwards and forwards in favour of one side or the other.

Its all about balance, and given how internet prices have risen, or are about to increase, over the last two years, one might have expected the Customer Service Support to have at least kept up its standard, not reduced.

Andrue
Pro

Where do you get that crazy idea from?

Over ten years being involved in discussions about broadband from ISDN upward. I'm a regular contributor and follower of discussions on Thinkbroadband. I've also been involved in the specification and provision of leased lines for remot(ish) offices for a previous employer. I was also peripherally involved in discussions with BT when a relative tried to get their community to subsidise cabinet upgrades.

Broadband in the UK is amongst the cheapest in the world and is sold on price, not quality. You look at almost any discussion of 'What ISP should I choose?' and the discussion is almost always mostly about price.

If you look at superfast take-up you can see that most people choose the cheapest packages. Take-up of faster services is lower than it needs to be. VM keep having to close lower tier packages and upgrade customers for free. BT's 80/20 FTTC is being sold to fewer customers than it could be.

And by coincidence the Beeb ran an article on this very subject yesterday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36833231

"The structure of our telecoms industry and the direction of our broadband strategy are, to a large extent, determined by the regulator Ofcom and by government ministers. Over the last decade, you could sum up their policy with those old retailers' maxims "pile it high, sell it cheap" or maybe "never mind the quality, feel the width"."