cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification on ports blocked by Plusnet's 'LOW' firewall setting?

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Clarification on ports blocked by Plusnet's 'LOW' firewall setting?

I appear to be unable to reach port 2222 from the Internet when the Plusnet firewall is set to 'LOW' despite the apparent list of ports blocked in that mode being 53, 111, 135, 137, 138, 139, 445, 515, 1080, 1433, 3128, 3306, 6000 according to the Advanced Settings page. Can you confirm whether port 2222 is also included (blocked)?

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Clarification on ports blocked by Plusnet's 'LOW' firewall setting?

I have my Plusnet 'Broadband Firewall' set to 'Low', and CAN see incoming TCP port 2222 scans arriving in my ADSL router's firewall log.

To test this, I used the Gibson Research 'ShieldsUP!' test, entered the port number 2222 into the 'User Specified Custom Port Probe',  then observed my local firewall log for rejected unsolicited incoming packets.

Hope that helps !  Wink

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Clarification on ports blocked by Plusnet's 'LOW' firewall setting?

Thanks, it does indeed help in ruling out the firewall as the cause for my problems.

I think I have tracked the problem to my Dad's Plusnet-branded Sagem 2704N which is absolutely shocking when it comes to port forwarding. It'll work one minute and not the next. I think it is down to the MAC address targetting and the fact it seems to get confused if there are any changes in Layer 2/3 mappings (e.g. due to DHCP).

I'll keep digging a little deeper but am confident now from my our observations that it is not a Plusnet firewall issue and just this bl***y router!