cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chronic Fibre Speeds except after using Competitors Fibre Connection to test - Coincidence Surely?

Archie53
Dabbler

Re: Chronic Fibre Speeds except after using Competitors Fibre Connection to test - Coincidence Surel

Back Again needing help.

Not sure if I should do a new post?

Up early and back to really slow connection. First BTW Test gave 16.13 Download and 0.00 Upload Yes 0.00

Switched Off/On Router improvment on Download to 22.94 Upload still 0.00.

Why no Upload?

Just the pits at the moment, any ideas? Thanks

Archie53
Dabbler

Re: Chronic Fibre Speeds except after using Competitors Fibre Connection to test - Coincidence Surel

Have now spoken to Technical an Engineer is being booked to visit and test. 

Archie53
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply regarding an engineer visit and apologies for the delay in responding the email notice ended up in Spam.

Since 6 Feb I have conducted more tests and fed back further details on the Open Question support ticket.

These tests were variable but the BTW one showed that 0.00 Upload had corrected and was giving a speed again.

However, the test results versus the physical use of the internet is still woeful.

I have timed the wonderful Blue Circle as I waited for email and other programs to load, longest wait 17 seconds.

I'm not sure if this will copy but here are 2 of my responses to the Open Question, no response to these from Plusnet to date.

It would appear that this may be an intermittent fault and if an engineer turns up, he or she may find no fault on the line.

As you will see I have asked if the Router may be the problem. It would certainly be one way to check this is for a new Router to be sent. Is that possible?

Not sure I want an engineer visit and end up with a charge? Should this visit be cancelled?

Thank you again

RESPONSES TO OPEN QUESTION

Have now conducted further tests using BTW, Speed on me, Which and Ookla all of which give different results.

More importantly the speed of response for programs, which I normally use including email is frankly "[-Censored-]".

Rather than list every test here is the best from BTW and others. All tests using Ethernet.

BTW Download:24.01 Upload: 5.66
Speed of Me: Download: 2.21 Upload: 7.41
Ookla: Test Froze
Which: Download: 13.2 Upload: 4.0

Following the last BTW Test which returned Download: 19.8 and Upload: 5.65, I opted for BTW's further test which came back with the message.

"This test was not conclusive and further testing is required. This might be useful for your Broadband Service Provider to investigate the fault" Copy attached.

Just want this resolved, we have been having speed issues since November 2019 and I have tests for each Month when speed and response issues have occurred.

Is it possible that there is an intermittent fault in the Router?

Please advise the next steps Plusnet propose.

Thanks Neil

Your Response

3:31pm, Friday 7 Feb 2020

Uploaded file attachment.

Name: BTW Further Tests Not Conclusive 1504.png

Type: image/png

KatieC
Pro
Fixes: 11

Hi @Archie53

Having looked in to this, I can see that the fault has now been closed as per your request. 

If the issues persist, please log a fault here with us: https://faults.plus.net and if you let us know once done, we can investigate further.  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Katie C
 Plusnet Help Team
Archie53
Dabbler

Hello Katie C

You are correct, after further tests the speed came back to something like normal, BTW Speed Tests gave "normal returns".

However the connection loading speeds to my usual websites and mail were still awful, almost like Dial Up with the blue circle spinning away before connection. Loading any articles or trying to open an email was painful.

All connections were Ethernet. Wifi was a waste of time, just useless.

My concern was that an Engineer would call and find "no faults" then we would be hit with a charge.

This appeared to be an intermittent fault, these connection issues had been occurring since Nov 19.

I had previously paid a retired BT engineer to check our telephone lines in December and he said there were no transmission faults he could find.

After discussion with the Plusnet help line they agreed it was possible the Router could be the source of the problem and a new Router was despatched.

This was delivered yesterday and so far all is good on Ethernet. Will check Wifi if a few days.

Time will tell, fingers crossed. I'll continue to monitor and record speed tests.

Thanks to everyone for the support and help. Not forgetting Plusnet Help who have been first class.

Regards Neil

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Thanks for the update, @Archie53

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Dave

Archie53
Dabbler

RandallFlagg will update how everything has gone after a couple of weeks with the new router. Cheers Neil