cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chronic Fibre Speeds except after using Competitors Fibre Connection to test - Coincidence Surely?

Archie53
Dabbler

Chronic Fibre Speeds except after using Competitors Fibre Connection to test - Coincidence Surely?

Since October 2019 I have been experiencing chronic Broadband Speeds which can last for a few days. Tried the usual switch off and on with no change.

Contacted Chat Help and after the normal questions and line tests everything on the line was apparently OK with the speed.

Ran full virus check on my computer, purged Cache and Cookies for the past year, no change. Tested other computers (2) and no change. 

Used to always connect via Wifi but switched to Ethernet connection, some improvement but not vast.

Ran broadband checks with Which, Boradband Speed Test YK and BTW. Not surpisingly BTW always returned the highest readings. Even BTW returned 18.5mbs Download and 5,5mbps Upload. This compared to Which 14.0mbs Download and 5.4mbs Upload.

Finally checked via my neigbours broadband (won't name the providor) but the results were eyeopening, 81.mbs Download and 10.3mbs Upload. 

Oddly when I returned home and reconnected to Plusnet the speeds had improved.

Until 2 days ago when yet again the response and loading of pages reminds me of Dial Up. One page took 61 seconds to load, normally a few seconds.

Sorry this is so long but I also had a BT Engineer in to check my line and fit an Openreach Master Socket in December.

Is it me but what is causing this "intermittent" problem with my Fibre Broadband. Are BT throttling back speeds (I have tested early mornings i.e. 00:35 and 02:38 no change. Or could it be a faulty router?

This is very frustrating can anyone offer a possible solution to this painful experience. Thanks

21 REPLIES 21
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Chronic Fibre Speeds except after using Competitors Fibre Connection to test - Coincidence Surel

@Archie53 

First of all forget the conspiracy theories, that's not the way these things work.

Next it's possible that your neighbour is connected to its fibre cabinet by a different route. If you put your phone number in here what does this tell you about the speed that you should be getting?  https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker

Have you done the basic tests? That is:

1. Take the front off the Master socket. If it's the latest type then it just clips on, if it's older then you may need to remove two screws. I know that it's all new but just bear with it. In behind you will find the Test socket

2. Plug a wired phone into the Test socket and do a quiet line test by ringing 17070 and selecting Option 2. If there's any noise on the line then report a phone fault.

3. Plug your original filter into the Test socket (NOT refit the shiny new front plate) and connect this to your router. Do your speed tests through a wired Ethernet connection.

Let us know the results.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Archie53
Dabbler

Re: Chronic Fibre Speeds except after using Competitors Fibre Connection to test - Coincidence Surel

Thank you Baldrick 1, I will try these tests in about an hour and let you know the results.

Archie53
Dabbler

Baldrik 1 Tests now carried out as suggested. 

1. Removed front plate from Master Socket: 17070 Option 2: No noise on line.

2. Direct connection, with filter (could not connect without filter) connection results:

Which Download 27.1 Upload 5.5, Speed of Me Download 29.1 Upload 5.9, Ookal Download 26.6 Upload 5.5

Tried to test using BT Wholsale but refused to connect, this has been like this for the past 2-days.

3. Refiited front plate to Master Socket, Steady Orange Light No Internet. Switch Router Off / On again Orange Light

4. Removed front plate, direct connection with filter Internet connection OK.

Will have this master socket replaced, could be the issue, time will tell.

Thanks for the suggestions and help. I will mark this as fixed.

Baldrick1

@Archie53 

The BTw adsl checker works for me.

Moderator and Customer

Archie53
Dabbler

It wokred for me until a few days ago then refused to connect, this is the link used. Always returned the highest test numbers so I always used this along with other speed test sites. http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Baldrick1

@Archie53 

We're at cross purposes here. My link https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker tells us what speed your line should support. It therefore tells us if you are getting the expected speed on your line. Try it and ttell us the results.

The BTw Speed Tester tells us what you are actually getting. It's working using the https secure protocol not the insecure http version. Try this link:  https://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Moderator and Customer

Archie53
Dabbler

Baldrik1 what a series of revelations:

1. The BT Master Socket Potential Fault affecting broadband speed.

2. The BTW Speed Check Link. Thank you it worked

and

3. The BT ADSL Checker. You are correct, although my neighbour and I are on the Same Exchange and Cabinet we have access to different speeds.

Now how do I get my number changed to access the higher speeds? A bit of searching called for.

Thank you again, just amazing and the community is first class.

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

You haven't revealed what you have discovered. If you and a nearby neighbour are supplied from the same cabinet you should get very similar speeds on the checker. it is nothing to do with your phone number, don't bother searching for a number with higher speeds, it just doesn't work like that.😁

Archie53
Dabbler

RealAleMadrid

What a crazy world we live in. I was contemplating changing the number to the same first 3 digit code as my neighbour, same one that I used to have before the number "had to be changed" to move to another broadband providor (not Plusnet I must add).

Apparently I can change the number for around £36 but from what you say that would achieve zippo.

My neighbour right next door (I can get their Wifi signal) is on the same Exchange and Cabinet but both TalkTalk and Plusnet could and cannot allow us to have the highest level of Fibre connection.

Enquire about our 2 telephone numbers on the ADSL checker throws up entirley different results and capabilities.

Why would that be? Have you idea why?

Makes no sense to me, same Exchange, same Cabinet, different capabilities.

Any help to understand this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Archie53
Dabbler

Apologies RealAleMadrid you opened with "you haven't revealed what you discovered.

Loads of numbers here are 2 to compare

VDSL Range A: Me High 33 Low 21.9   Neighbour High 80 Low 58.7

FTTP On Demand: Me Up to 7   Neighbour Up to 13

Quite a disparity as with all the other categories and reading.

May I confirm that Exchange and Cabinet and identical for myself and my neighbour.

Hope this helps.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Archie53  you appear to be reading the DSL checker very wrongly.

FTTP on Demad is a bespoke and expensive meant for buisiness product and I would ezpect the results to show 330Mbps.

If yo can, do a screen print and post the picture, even a copy and past will help.

Archie53
Dabbler

Mustrum

Thank you, you are correct, I misread the lines: FTTP on Demand shows 330 Mbps. I read the details from the next line, guess I'm off to Specsavers.

Copy of both BT Broadband Checkers results are attached.

Regards

Archie53

Baldrick1

@Archie53 

Do you knowof the history of the provision of the telephone lines to the two properties. It looks a bit like the telephone cables to the two follow totally different different routes. Are you both on an overhead line fed from the same pole? Maybe Openreach could be persuaded to swap you onto a different connection.

Moderator and Customer

Archie53
Dabbler

Spot on, I have just been out and checked and the lines are from 2 different poles. 

Still a bit puzzled, why with both lines being in the same Exchange and Cabinet they would have different capabilities.

I'll follow your advice and contact Openreach, that should be fun.

Broadband is still singing along so a real fix Baldrik1 thanks you.

And thanks to the others in the Community that have shown interest and assistance.