cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheeper Fiber

thesands

Cheeper Fiber

How come new customers are getting fiber unlimited fo £10 for 6 months and us that have been with plusnet for years pay MORE?
 Is it worth canceling and starting again?  Embarrassed
adie:red removed all caps title as per link:rules ]
7 REPLIES 7
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Cheeper Fiber

Quote from: thesands
How come new customers are getting fiber unlimited fo £10 for 6 months
It's something called 'an introductory offer' and it's pretty much universal (across all industries and markets) that only new customers can get them. If you cancel and re-apply you probably still won't get it because most companies have a time limit before they will class you as a new customer again.
However if you threaten to cancel some companies will offer a retention deal which will often be similar to the introductory offer. Just be aware that if you accept the offer you are starting a new contract and will incur penalty charges if you decide to leave before the new contract ends. Right now be especially careful because PN have withdrawn a couple of products from sale so if you renew you will be shunted onto either 80/20 or 40/2.
40/10 and 40/20 no longer exist. Also 80/2 is only available if PN consider that your line can comfortably handle it.
As for why existing customers don't get deals...they just don't. It's not peculiar to PN and it's not peculiar to ISPs. Companies like signing up new customers and often entice them with offers that aren't available to existing customers. There are good reasons why they do it but they aren't worth getting into here. It's just the way the world works.
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Strange that some like myself get contacted by Plusnet and others don't maybe because i was a newish member i joined March 2014,  Huh  when my contract had a month left to go Plusnet contacted me to make a new deal which was a discount on my fibre cost per month which I took i had to agree for another 18 months but that was ok.
there was a issue when my new contract / deal started that i managed to get sorted which was due to the low end of the estimate for the line that the Plusnet system goes by and such i was downgraded to 40/20 but Online chat / CRT was able to put me back on 80/20 with the discount i had arranged.
Maybe you can pop into online chat and see if a new deal can be made they might tell you to call instead but you should be able to arrange some kind of deal, it will mean taking another 18 month contract and as Andrue says be aware when you make a new deal  especially if your on 80/20 and your low end of the estimate for you line is below 40Mb the system will downgrade you.   
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

I've been out of contract since August but haven't had any offers. Not sure I was really expecting any though as I'm on 80/20 well above their arbitrary threshold. I don't think I'd accept anyway - I might want to move in December when my BT contract is up for renewal. It depends on if PN ever manage to fix the single thread download issue or if it becomes more of a problem for me than it currently is.
Still - it'd be nice to be asked Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To respond to original post - Phone Customer Options and select I want to leave
Number is in my sig
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

@andrue I have no idea why Plusnet chose to contact me it wasn't expected at all, I'm wondering maybe because my estimate was below 40Mb they figured they could downgrade me when i made the new deal and i wouldn't be able to prove that i had been on 80/20 and they could save a few quid, I dunno maybe that's just a tin foil hat way of thinking  Cheesy 
mlmclaren
Grafter

I've seen recently that many on 40/20 are being contacted and being offered some tempting offers... but this is clearly so that Plusnet can cut there wholesale costs IMO.
samtech

I am a long term Plusnet customer and I contacted them about upgrading to fibre and combining my line too.
They matched the SSE fibre deal that was on at the time. The fibre part is £10pm for 2 years.
I could have done BT for cheaper with their cashback deals but stuck with Plusnet. I just hope they don't cancel the fibre upgrade appointment again  Angry
The trick is to be able to show them a deal online and they will try and match it.