Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check on data consumption?

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Check on data consumption?

I usually have my radio on in the background at night as it helps me sleep.  Until the last few days I only listened to broadcast on-air radio but have just discovered the Tune-In internet service which provides a better range.  Since I am now consuming 8 extra hours a day of data, and have also added a couple of Nest cameras, I am concerned I could be using unreasonable amounts of data.  Where can I keep an eye on this to ensure I keep within reasonable limits?

8 REPLIES 8
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

Re: Check on data consumption?

Assuming your on an unlimited plan, you have nothing to worry about, you can you as much data as you want 😀

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Well I don't like the thought that I might impact on other people's service, so I'd really like to have some kind of meter to show how it's going and compare to average expected levels etc.  Isn't there one?

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@IngeJones If it were metered you would see that the load on the network is miniscule.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

@IngeJones 

Do you have a Hub One? That will tell you on the Helpddesk how much data has gone up and down the line, since the last Hub restart.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@IngeJones wrote:

Well I don't like the thought that I might impact on other people's service...

Very commendable, but I really wouldn't be concerned.

The net's infrastructure has grown over the years to accommodate millions of users downloading and streaming from multiple platforms - mainly video. Radio streaming is a miniscule part of it.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Internet radio on 24/7 will use between 2 and 4GB per month. This is peanuts compared with steaming video. I consider myself to be a lightweight streamer but use between 40 and 60 GB per month.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Plusnet used to provide a monitoring feature, but it has recently been removed. If they aren't worried about a unlimited connection using too much data, neither should you.

IngeJones
Aspiring Pro

Ok thanks everyone, I shall relax and enjoy.  Smiley