Did you mean: 

Check for over/high utilisation?

FIXED
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Check for over/high utilisation?

The sync rate of 37mbps seems slower than we'd expect.

Testing your line (As your orders have now completed) is showing a potential fault on the Openreach network, which I've raised to our suppliers now. We've been advised of an estimated response time of by 01/02/18 23:59:59.

Hopefully it's a quick fix.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
santi
Rising Star

Thanks, I shall keep you updated.

santi
Rising Star

Just something to note while the work is carried out. The BTW performance test is giving me a much higher reading than what other speedtests are giving me (see images).

obok7gOmSTq9EdQ3k4x2Bg.pngScreenshot_31.png

santi
Rising Star

Engineer did the work today. Data rate went up a tad:

6. Data rate: 9713 / 41118
7. Maximum data rate: 9735 / 40277
8. Noise margin: 6.3 / 5.8
9. Line attenuation: 27.6 / 19.0
10. Signal attenuation: 27.3 / 16.9

Is this the maximum I can get for this line (I see no point me being signed up to the fibre extra then..)

Here are the line checker results for my line:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 65.6 46.6 17.7 11.3 40 Available -- --  
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 55.9 36.9 15.4 8.1 32.4 Available -- --

I am currently seeing a constant of 34/35meg on speedtest results (Connected via ethernet):

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Remember that there are 2 sets of numbers to consider.

- The figures that the LINE checker will quote are the LINE rates: ie the raw data rate negotiated between your router and the Fiber Cabinet. 

- Any speedtest is an indication of how quickly you can send data over that link, and onwards into the Internet.

Think of it like this: you live on a bumpy road, and if there's no cars parked there, and no kids playing, you maybe make 20mph, if there's kids / cars, then maybe it's only 15mph. So a max capability of 20, but drops to 15 when busy

Now think about the motorway: if there's no traffic, and no cops, then you could easily make 100mph. Usually you'd go at 70mph, but on a friday evening, everone is using the road, so 50mph if the traffic is flowing, and 0 to 20mph stop start when there's an accident. So a "raw capacity" of 100mph, typically 70 mph, but a bit slower in peak times, and can get really bad if there's problems.

One of the problems of any "online speed test" is that it's not just measuring your wire (should be a constant), and how well your ISP's bit of network is running (should be generally good), but it's also dependant on where the test connects you (can be very variable!). And that's why test resuts can vary, both between test sites, and between times of day.

santi
Rising Star

Thanks for the info..

I'm talking about my data rate between the router and the cabinet. It is no way near enough my minimum guaranteed speeds. I understand there are a lot of factors affecting my speed I see, but I can clearly see that my speed is aligned close to my data rate. I want to figure out why my data rate is slow slow compared to the estimate on my line.

paul_blitz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yeah, that's similar to how long the satnav says to get there, and how long it actually takes!!!

Partly, it's an estimate, based upon your distance form the exchange (ADSL) or cabinet (Fibre), and (from what I remember reading about an hour ago) yours is in the middle for the "rainy day" figures, but less than the "sunny day" figures.

When you get a new line, typically it starts slow (so the system is pretty happy it WILL work ok) and monitors the performance for a while: if all looks ok, it will resync the line to a slighly higher speed. Keep repeating.

How the final speed compares to the original estimate can depend on many things: how accurately did they calculate the cable length in the first place; what quality of cable is used on the various bits or wiring; are the "joints" ok; is there any nasty interference along the way; are there many other FTTC customers in the multicore that comes dow your street (that cause interference to YOUR signal); where, in your house, have you plugged in the router.

That last one can be important: the "old way" where you had a load of extensions chained from the master socket, with ADSL filters for each phone is BAD for fibre, and can have a big effect on your speed. The "new way" is that you have a filter on your master socket, with all the extensions connected to the main filter.

For FTTC to work well, you need to be fairly close to the cabinet, the joints in the street boxes need to be good, the cables in good condition, and your router plugged in to the master socket, with all extensions connected via a filetr in the master socket. Whilst ADSL would work OK-ish on a sub-optimal line, FTTC needs everything to be working really well.

santi
Rising Star

I'm all connected to the master socket with no extensions currently wired up. Also doesn't plusnet/openreach have a commitment to give me those clean min gauranteed speeds?
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Your still under the estimate based on the modem stats so yes you can request another engineer visit hopefully that one can get you back to where you should be maybe more.  

santi
Rising Star

Cheers for the confirmation, I've started an fault ticket. Hopefully get a reply within the next couple days.

santi
Rising Star

Still no update on this - No reply to fault ticket and support chat/phone tells me to wait for a response which they cannot tell me when it will be (Just have had confirmation it has not been picked up yet..)

Also I have been told that I would be refunded for the time I have/will be paying for fibre extra but getting the standard fibre speeds.

Any mod able to pick this up?

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear that.

I'll update your open fault shortly.

[edit]

That's now been done.

Let me know once you've responded and I'll get it picked back up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
santi
Rising Star

Thanks for your help. I've responded to it now
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Thanks!

I'll get that booked for you shortly.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
santi
Rising Star

Openreach engineer came round, did some work. The data rates improved:
6. Data rate:
15807 / 63149
7. Maximum data rate:
15796 / 62286

Edit: My line profile was stuck so got online chat to increase it for me. Speeds have increased to a solid 55meg. Many thanks