Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check for over/high utilisation?

FIXED
santi
Rising Star

Check for over/high utilisation?

Hello,

I am planning a move from VM to Plusnet fibre. I was just wondering if there is anyway to check for high utilisation in my cabinet/area or what not that'll effect my peak time speeds and ping on plusnet fibre.

Every since I joined VM I was hit by over utilisation which I was not told about. (Later found a couple year long and still ongoing thread on their forums.) This christmas period they kept my offline for 7 days, so it has finally pushed me over the boat.

Just wondering if anyone can check my area Postcode: UB67AL (I believe my exchange is LWPER)

44 REPLIES 44
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Check for over/high utilisation?

Hi there. Welcome to the community forums.

I've checked the BT Wholesale fibre/broadband capacity report (up to date as of yesterday) for your exchange, and we haven't been advised of any reported problems on the SVLANs there.

An SVLAN is basically our suppliers network/equipment at the exchange which traffic passes through.

Without knowing which SVLAN your potential service will be provisioned on (which we'd find out when the order completes by testing the line), it'd be difficult for our suppliers or us to advise definitively there are no issues at all.

But from what I can see at the moment, it's looking good. Thumbs_Up

If you do decide to signup and if you experience issues, we'll be happy to help resolve them.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@santi if you put your details into the BT DSL checker you should get a better idea of the speeds you should be able to get. The phone number may not work if its a VM number, but the address one should.

santi
Rising Star

Cheers guys, just signed up. Hopefully I will have more consistency with plusnet than VM. fdfd4b14ad51b6db9096f0942cbd580cb92bfe4b

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems. Keep us posted, let us know your activation goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
santi
Rising Star

Cheers will do.

In regards to my username, it is different to the username I signed up with. Would it be easier for me to register under that username?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix
I think it’s against the forum rules to have two forum accounts so the mods might not be too happy if you had two. Smiley

If we need to find your account, we should be able to from your forum details like your e-mail address. If not we’ll ask you to PM us your username. So it should be fine.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
santi
Rising Star

Hello,

I am due to be getting plusnet installed on Wednesday next week (Originally was Monday but pushed back as not available that day.) Today I received an email and text saying that 'Unfortunately, there's been a delay to the order for your telephone service.' Does this mean that the installation date is delayed, the email is very vague and gives no more information?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It looks like the delay was just that our suppliers front end systems hadn't updated to reflect your booked appointment on Wednesday. They've said we should receive the confirmation before the end of the day.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
santi
Rising Star

Had the engineer round just now, one thing I wanted to ask. He refused to touch the VM telephone socket (Where currently my router and telephone are based) as he said its different suppliers. I previously had a BT telephone socket there, and the VM engineer even left the wires there incase in the future I wanted to switch back. Why did he not swap that for an BT socket? (Would like to connect my telephone to this socket, as the master socket is in the bedroom I don't want the router & main telephone hub in the same spot and not enough plug sockets). Now I am left with one unusable VM telephone socket downstairs (leaving me with no telephone sockets downstairs)

p.s. Still no internet (He went out over an hour ago to connect it up from the cabinet - said he didn't need to access the property again as the wiring was all good inside - ETA?)

santi
Rising Star

Update to the previous post: Just been notified of a delay in my phone order (After web-chatting someone at Plusnet) and update on this would be nice.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm sorry to hear the engineer didn't install an Openreach socket where you wanted.

It's not something we'd have control over I'm afraid. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

I've checked your order and it's still showing as committed for the 24th.

We'll need to allow up to midnight for the order to complete.

I'm not entirely sure why our automated system has sent you confirmation that your broadband is ready to go/order to complete, but hopefully it doesn't take too much longer to go live.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
santi
Rising Star

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I shall wait for today.

Also regarding the telephone socket. Downstairs is (was) just an extension of the upstairs socket. All it requires is wiring to the BT faceplate again. Is that something I can do myself or does open reach have to do It?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you're experienced in doing this type of work, I see no reason why not.

Alternatively, if you're wanting an Openreach engineer to complete this work we'd need to progress this as an internal shift order which means they'd move your master socket to a place of your choice. It's quite costly though, at £160.

Keep us posted, let us know if your service still doesn't work tomorrow and I'll chase this up.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
santi
Rising Star

Oh I see, I'm sure I'll be able to sort this out my self.

Thanks I'll keep you posted tomorrow.