Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing minimum guaranteed line speed

Mlewis
Grafter

Changing minimum guaranteed line speed

Has anyone else experienced this?

My line speed has a previous minimum guaranteed speed of 49.6Mbps. I have this in both a screenshot from before the weekend, and in an email from plusnet (where I'd previously had a speed issue) in July 2020.

I recently changed routers due to a fault with mine, when I first connected my new router up last week I noticed my connection speed was slow (around 40Mpbs, previoulsy I'd been getting around 52Mbps). I know this can get throttled back if there is a few disconnects, so once the new router was in I gave it a few days to settle. I'm still getting 40Mbps, but looking at my account it now shows this:

• Product: Unlimited Fibre Extra
  • Estimated Download Range: 46 - 61Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 15 - 18Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 41.8Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 44.2Mbps

So the guaranteed minimum has changed from 49.6Mbps (which, remember, I have in writing from plusnet in July 2020) to 41.8Mbps... this, as far as I am concerned is a breach of contract - they can't just change this, correct?

Has anyone else experienced this?

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Changing minimum guaranteed line speed

It's probably not allowed and can be changed back. It's obviously useful to chase this up if you want to cancel your contract without penalty and go elsewhere. Restoring your contracted guaranteed minimum speed will not make your line go any faster.

Alternatively you might wish to do a few tests to see if there's a fault on your line. If not, unless you go to a cable company or FTTP is available the chances are you will be in the same boat as if you stayed with Plusnet.

Chances are that your previous disconnects has resulted in your line becoming banded.

The key question is: are you posting here to vent your dissatisfaction with your minimum guaranteed speed having changed or are you seeking advice regarding your lower speed?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mlewis
Grafter

I was just asking if anyone else had expierienced this.

I'm not looking to leave, but I had massive speed issues in June/July last year which took them 6 weeks to sort out, so I'm a bit wary about it!

I've spoken to support, they've raised a couple of issues; they've confirmed (as, like yourself, I expected) the line has been banded due to the disconnects - they've raised this to be sorted with an engineer. They are also puzzled as to why I'm seeing the changed minimum guaranteed speed - where they view it, it's apparently just showing as blank!! But they've confirmed my guaranteed minimum is 49.6Mpbs, not the 41.8Mbps I'm seeing. So hopefully once sorted, all should be good 🙂

Mlewis
Grafter

Interesting update, I've been told that plusnet don't control the minimum guaranteed speed - that's BT Wholesale. The guy I spoke to told me it CAN change during your contract, but if it does you can just cancel your contract immediately, penalty free!

As it stands, my speed is still below my "old" guaranteed speed but above my "new" guaranteed speed. I have a BT engineer visit booked for tomorrow, so I'll soon find out if I'll be binning plusnet for breach of contract!!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I think there may be some confusion. The minimum guaranteed speed can’t or rather shouldn’t change for the length of your contract. This is a percentage of the lowest speed estimate of your line shown Here at the time you agree to a contract. 

Speed estimates are the expectations of your line and this can change, either go up or go down depending on if the infrastructure is upgraded or degrades.

If for example you have a speed of 70mbps, minimum guaranteed speed of 45mbps, estimated speed range of 50mbps to 80mbps, then at some point within your contract, your speed drops to 30mbps, the estimated speed range drops to say 20mbps to 30mbps, we’d likely deem that the line now can’t handle the speeds you once had and would provide you with the ‘right to leave’ without paying an early termination fee. 

I hope this helps. 

[edit]

If for any reason your minimum guaranteed speed does change this would be due to a system issue rather than a conscious effort. We should always go by the minimum guaranteed we agree at the point of sale. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Mlewis
Grafter

This was my broadband stats from my account on Friday 5th March:

plusnet.png

This is what it currently says:

Capture.PNG

As you can see, drop in estimated speed, slight drop in upload speed, but crucially a near 20% drop in Minimum Guaranteed Speed. Really oddly, a near doubling of the Current line speed (which, according to my router, is actually 48.9Mpbs and seems much more likely that 78Mbps as I live more than 250m from my exchange cab)