cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing line profile requires an engineer?

sjwk
Hooked

Changing line profile requires an engineer?

Does anyone know why changing the line profile that was incorrectly set up needs an engineer to visit rather than just a configuration change?
I moved house about 3 weeks ago and finally got broadband up and running on Monday - I had been told an engineer was coming in the morning but no one showed up, and received a self install router through the post, plugged that into the existing Openreach socket and all works, except only at 38/2 rather than the speed I'd expect (fibre extra unlimited - I want the higher upload speed for backups).
I've now been told that it shouldn't have been a self install, and an engineer has to visit the property to change the line speed.  Or I can cancel the line and be set up as self install in 14 days.  Oh, and an engineer can't visit before new year.
Given that I clearly have a new style modem-less Outreach box on the wall, and a Plusnet Hub One router that's doing VDSL as I'm getting 38Mbps fibre speeds, what is an Openreach engineer actually going to do?
At least I have Internet over Christmas but still frustrated that not getting what my account says I am paying for, and more particuarly because I took the whole of Monday off to wait for an engineer who never showed up, now have to take another day off to wait for a revisit for something that surely is just a configuration change?
6 REPLIES 6
caryh
Grafter

Re: Changing line profile requires an engineer?

If you are connecting at 38/2 it sounds more like you have been provisioned on fibre unlimited,rather than unlimited extra. I don't see why that would require a engineers visit though, as I beleive the speed is limited from the Plusnet side not by BT.
Might be worth getting a second opinion via webchat, or you can await a response from the plusnet team on here, but hopefully will just be a change on Plunets systems you need.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

BUMP - needs Plusnet response (Fibre Extra provisioned on 40/2)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Hi,
Just checked a few things and can see things are a little more complicated in the backend with this order, but you are correct in saying an engineer shouldn't be required to modify the line speed, I'll try give you a call shortly as this matter will be easier over the phone
Thanks
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for your time,
We've expedited the engineer appointment for Monday but asked him to not come round, this is so we can close the current open provide task, once that is closed we can remotely modify the line, the engineer appointment was scheduled as the order was placed with an engineer at the start.
I've emailed and text you, give me a shout if you need anything
sjwk
Hooked

Many thanks for the call and for your prompt attention Paul!  Fingers crossed!
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Smiley
Just wanted to drop back in and let you know it's all sorted now, I've sent you an email from your account too, should be syncing at the correct speeds now