cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing channel?

ArthurDent
Grafter

Changing channel?

Contracted for 40mb, with the usual openreach/technicolor combination of kit.
Sometimes recently, however, everything has slowed right down, but then perks up later. No pattern detected yet, but a neighbour might be the culprit. Someone has suggested changing to a less used channel might reduce any local contention (if that's what is causing it).
How would I do that please?
5 REPLIES 5
benfranklin
Grafter

Re: Changing channel?

This should help  Smiley
Edited to add - you could also try using this or something like it to scan for the least congested channel in your locality.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I'm presuming it's all ok with wired? If so, then changing the channels may well help. See the link above for details.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Or if you have an Android phone, get this free app "Wifi Analyzer" by Farproc on the play store at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB
Then you can walk about the house checking the signal strengths in any room without trying to balance a laptop.
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
ArthurDent
Grafter

Thanks guys!
Tony, when the prob occurs it seems to affect both a wired laptop and this Ethernet desktop.
Will see if it persists and if so will adopt your suggestions.
benfranklin
Grafter

It's not a wifi problem then, seeing as it's also affecting wired devices. It's still worth a quick scan with a wifi analysing program though, just to make sure your wireless is on the least busy channel anyway.
If there doesn't seem to be a pattern to the slowdowns, all I can suggest is keeping a log of when they do happen to see if there is in fact a pattern that is not immediately obvious. Good luck, intermittent problems can be a real pain to diagnose.