cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes to your speeds

arcticicecool

Changes to your speeds

Hello,

I have just received an email from Plusnet advising of a raise in line rental; but more importantly:

Changes to your speeds
Broadband download speeds are important for most of the stuff you do online such as browsing, streaming TV, watching videos, gaming and downloading files. So we’re increasing the download speed limit of your fibre broadband from up to 38Mb to up to 52Mb‡, which means you might find your connection gets faster. We’re also making some changes to the maximum upload speed from up to 19Mb to up to 9.4Mb. These changes are happening on 1st August.

Can I ask why the change? I do a lot of uploading, to cloud storage for example and like my backups to complete efficiently. This reduction pretty much doubles the backup times of my backups.

I appreciate an increase of download speed, but this is fibre. The only benefit I can see to cutting upload speeds so much is to save plusnet money and not to improve the overall experience of your customers.

Am I entitled to cancel my contract with you on the basis of this change?

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Changes to your speeds

It's a seriously detrimental change, so yes you can cancel.

You also have the option of upgrading to 80/20 without changing the minimum term of your contract and without entering into an agreement to a new minimum if your existing term has expired.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Is-this-a-mistake/m-p/1346074#M40620

Very unsatisfactory, regardless.

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
arcticicecool

Thanks!

I've been with plusnet nearly 10 years now, and have been really happy with their service. But don't like being sneakily ripped off.

I'm considering giving Vodafone a go, their customer service isn't bad regardless of how many complaints they've had in the last 12 months, and they do pretty good packages for existing mobile customers.

MUFFiN
Grafter

As someone who streams a lot of TV (3 Chromecasts) and uploads a lot of content to YouTube I am also very worried about this.

Whilst I do not receive the full 19mbps upload, i currently hit 7mbps upload which I am happy with, however I am now panicking that the new "maximum upload of 9mbps" will push my current 7mbps down further.

PS. Articicecool you can cancel your contract on this basis. On the email they state;

What happens next?
We hope you’re happy with your products and services but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we won’t apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you call us to tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days’ notice.^
arcticicecool

Usually I spot that information straight away, but my email definitely doesn't mention anything about cancelling or terminating; it does mention changes to their termination fees though! #notImpressed

arcticicecool

The thing with moving up to the higher 80/20 package, is that Plusnet could just do the same to that service in a few months!

InterZoom
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I may end up paying more just for now because I don't want a new lock-in.

But I'll bide my time.

Alienating good customers is not good business, even if they do get an extra 20 quid out of me over the next few months.

The calculation is no doubt that upsetting a few users at the more technical end of the spectrum doesn't matter if you're in the mass market. But to me, integrity matters.

As does upload speed!

---
Troubleshooting:
The Limitations of Traceroute & Ping
Latency: Connection "fast" but internet sluggish? Bufferbloat FAQ
Black Holes: Worth noting that the Plusnet Hub One router has an MTU of 1488 bytes.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note.

locked in favour of https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Feedback/How-long-before-Plusnet-put-up-their-prices-to-follow...
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'