Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed to Fibre Extra - No increase in speed

frosty8
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Changed to Fibre Extra - No increase in speed

I don't know what is happening to my connection but it dropped around midnight last night and I didn't notice as I had gone to bed. Now tonight a speedtest thinks I live in ilkley 180 miles away, so I do a quick reboot of the router and I move to Sheffield, 40 miles nearer but still a long way from London (where I live).

I pulled the power on the router for 15 mins and on reconnection I had apparently moved north again to Gateshead 247 miles from London.

Changing the testing server back down to London I get this ....2 slower.GIF

Back on a BT addres though one of the ones 'up north' said Plusnet. If you compare that speedtest to the one I left a few posts back you will see that its not as good.

What is going on ? As Plusnet is in Sheffield the detective in me makes you the chief suspect Smiley

dgp
Rising Star

I used to live in Sheffield (about 4 miles from Plusnet Towers) very rarely did it say I was there - it seems to move all over the place so I’ve never placed much reliance on the location. I’ve always seen it as some sort of privacy issue, but don’t know if this is true.

frosty8
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm still in Sheffield this morning supposedly. In the 18 months I was with BT, Speedtest net nearly always placed me in London, maybe 1% of the time elsewhere like Maidstone but never 'up north'.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hiya @frosty8 I've tested your line and we're seeing your download line speed has dropped slightly to 34.4mbps with your upload line speed increasing marginally to 7.4mbps.

I think based on the engineering investigation, fluctuation in your speeds to some degree is to be expected, although if your speeds keep on dropping, we may need to arrange another engineer to investigate further.

The change in location you're seeing on a speed test would be due to your dynamic IP address changing when your connection disconnected last night. Any incorrect location is just down to an out of date database the site is using.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet