Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed to Fibre Extra - No increase in speed

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Changed to Fibre Extra - No increase in speed

No problem @frosty8 I’d be surprised if we’d charge you for the engineer finding no fault as your speeds are definitely below where we’d expect so there does seem to be a fault still. 

As far as I’m the aware the graph is based on a clean copper line. If part of your line is aluminium then it’s likely the speeds you’re getting may be all your line can achieve without intervention from DLM reducing the SNRM target to 3dB.

I’d like to see us escalate a minimum of one engineer visit to try to get quality checks carried out at the very least. I’ll pick this back up tomorrow when I’m in the office.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frosty8
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Gandalf  Thanks very much . As far as I remember I was on a 6dB profile with BT not sure about when I started with them though because I was getting 41Mbps. There were no dropouts but gradually this reduced to mid 30's.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@frosty8 thanks for the detail. That makes it a bit easier to escalate as if you've had higher speeds before under the same conditions it seems obvious there's a fault somewhere. Having said that, the issue may very well be something which can't be easily rectified like cross talk (Interference from other connections at the cabinet) or the aluminium line degrading. 

I've booked the engineer appointment for this Friday 04/10/19 between 1pm and 6pm raising an escalation proforma to Openreach requesting a multi-skilled engineer is assigned and carries out all quality gates.

Fingers crossed it goes well!

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frosty8
Rising Star

@Gandalf  Thanks very much for arranging the new appointment.

Having said that, the issue may very well be something which can't be easily rectified like cross talk (Interference from other connections at the cabinet)

The engineer did mention something similar may be the problem when my connection was switched to a different port in the cabinet. He could not remember the actual word for it even though it was on the tip of his tongue, he went through a few terms and cross talk was one of them but not what he was thinking of.

Yes fingers crossed but even if I don't get a good result I will be satisfied that all has been done to rectify the speed problem and it won't be the end of the world as my connection is stable.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@frosty8 no problem. Yeah as long as your connection's stable and you have the speeds to do what you'd want, I agree anymore speed would be a bonus but it would be good to know everything's been checked out thoroughly.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frosty8
Rising Star

I was disconnected today but I don't know how long for as I was not using the internet when it went off. According to the router it was reconnected at 12.54pm but at a slower rate.

Speedtest showing a different IP address now (a Plusnet one Smiley)

The test below was done 10 minutes ago using ethernet and no one else using the internet.

Slower.GIF

IP.GIF

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It’s good to see the IP address is now showing as Plusnet although not that’d make much of a difference, hopefully the engineer tomorrow afternoon will be able to diagnose and fix the problem with your speeds. It’s always easier to diagnose something when the issue’s occurring. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frosty8
Rising Star

It’s always easier to diagnose something when the issue’s occurring.

Sods law though says it will have fixed itself by the time the engineer arrives Smiley.

I'm off to bed, goodnight and will report back when the engineer has gone.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yup that always seems to be the case, hopefully not though.
I should get some sleep now too. Goodnight. Smiley
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frosty8
Rising Star

@Gandalf  Hi, the engineer that came gave my line a good look at today but it seems I am stuck with this speed.

The internal cable IS ok even though the outer cable has seen better days as he tested the speed inside and at the connection outside. He also went to the cabinet and checked the speed there which he said was a little bit low (85Mbps) but not low enough to make much difference to me.

The distance to the fibre cabinet is much greater at 519 metres (his figures) which combined with underground aluminium cable would explain the slow speeds.

He reset my connection which has improved it compared to the change yesterday so I am content that all has been done to try and get me a better speed.

Unfortunately I live in a grade 2 listed concrete estate so national heritage won't let companies like Hyperoptic lay cables here which is a bit of a joke as BT cables dangle in the air out the back.

I will have to have a think about going 40/20 because I don't want to lose any speed, cheers.

Speedtest taken upstairs (not at master) ....

16.00.GIF

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update @frosty8 Ah, if your line's that long to the cabinet and partially aluminium, I agree it's likely that not much more that can be done to improve on your speeds unfortunately. Sad At least it's been investigated and they've tried.

I've tested your line and I'm seeing your sync speeds at 37.1mbps/7.4mbps which tally up thereabouts with what you're seeing on a speed test. As both of these are below the 40/10 product if you downgrade, you shouldn't see any difference apart from the cost obviously as it'd be a cheaper package.

If you'd want to downgrade I'd recommend calling our customer options team on 0800 013 2632, alternatively I'd be happy to arrange a call back from them. Feel free to drop me a PM with the best contact number to get you on and a rough time frame when you'd be free for a call.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
frosty8
Rising Star

@Gandalf  Thanks for the reply. Yes its a bit disappointing but as I said before not the end of the world as the connection is stable with no errors according to the tests carried out by both engineers. Today's engineer was very thorough  and pointed out things that were not great in the way that phone lines were connected on this estate eg 400 volt cables right next to phone lines.

The fibre cabinet is a long way (about 100 metres) from the ordinary cabinet, in the wrong direction of course. All in all with the aluminium and distance involved I'm not doing too badly at all !

I will ring that number early next week and if I have no luck I will PM you to arrange a call back. Next Friday I will be one month into the contract so maybe that would be the day to swap down to 40.

Thanks v much for all your help !!!

Edit: I would click the 'This fixed my problem button' but I can't see it Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@frosty8 Not a problem and yup it looks like a full investigation was carried out, which is all you can ask for and at least both you and we know what your line is capable of and where we stand. Smiley

While I’d love to take another fix (:D) unfortunately that power is reserved for the original poster of a thread which looks to be @dgp 

Let me know how the call goes. 

Cheers,

Anoush

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dgp
Rising Star

Hi @dgp here! I am sorted, happy for you to help @frosty8. All I would say is try the master socket and have Openreach given you a socket with a built-in micro-filter. If you have and they have, then that’s it.They both helped me. 

frosty8
Rising Star

@dgp  Hi there, I didn't get a filtered faceplate but in my case it would not have helped. The engineer measured the speed in my property and then outside at the junction box and the result was no difference. He also measured the speed at the cabinet and that was ok.

My problem is my distance to the cabinet and underground aluminium cables + the laws of physics Smiley. Also living in a listed building stops me getting FTTP which is a pity as a company called Hyperoptic would like to get into this estate but are stopped by National Heritage who also hold up many other things. Of course none of them live here. They are doing 150Mbps up and down for £26pm which would be nice ... maybe one day.

Thanks for your input.