cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed to Fibre Extra - No increase in speed

dgp
Rising Star

Changed to Fibre Extra - No increase in speed

My Fibre Extra upgrade went live on 4th September - yet my speed has remained the same. This seems to be a common issue and I was wondering if there is any way for me to check whether Openreach have done whatever they are supposed to do, as I don't think anyone at PN has actually checked despite my asking.

I phoned PN and was told to wait 10 days for 'line training', but I didn't think DLM worked that way anymore. I raised a ticket with PN and was told to do all the speed and line tests which I have done. Everything points to Openreach still having me on the standard fibre package - any ideas? 

I have a Netgear D7800 router so can see the speed that is connecting at.

63 REPLIES 63
Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Changed to Fibre Extra - No increase in speed

Looking at your router stats, looks like you have a problem somewhere. Your speeds are well below par according to the DSL checker. Maybe a PN staffer can shed some light on this for you.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @dgp,

I'm sorry that your speed hasn't increased following your upgrade to fibre extra.

I've checked the order and can see that the fibre extra upgrade order has completed. However, your line has stayed banded to up to 35mbps down and 10mbps up. I have raised this to our back office team and have asked that they arrange to reset the line with our suppliers. Once this has been done, you should be receiving the correct speed. Please let us know if your connection speed has not increased after 48 hours.

GEA Test Detail
Circuit ID NA Service ID BBEUXXXXXXXX

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0000
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found .
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 35.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed 9.0 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 580.5
Upstream Rate Assessment Low
Downstream Rate Assessment Low
Interference Pattern Regular Interference Observed Daily
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Interference Duration Longest Occurrence ;00:00to23:45
Interference Location Other
Interference Observed In Days 14
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-35M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-10M Upstream, Retransmission Low
Time Stamp 2019-08-27T11:00:00
Parameters MIN MAX AVG
Down Stream Line Rate 34.9 Mbps 34.9 Mbps 34.9 Mbps
Up Stream Line Rate 9.0 Mbps 9.2 Mbps 9.1 Mbps
Up Time 2.0 Sec 900.0 Sec 890.3 Sec
Retrains 0.0 1.0 0.0
Current and Last 15 Minute Bin Performance
Parameters Last Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins) Current Traffic Count(Upto 15 mins)
Start Time Stamp 2019-09-09T08:31:04Z 2019-09-09T08:46:04Z
Ingress Code Violation 0 0
Egress Code Violation 0 0
Errored Seconds 0 0
Severely Errored Seconds 0 0
Unavailable Seconds 0 0
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
dgp
Rising Star

Hi Emily

Thanks. It looks as the banding has been corrected. So far there has been no improvement in performance, but I seem to remember it took a few days for the connection to stabilise when I first switched to fibre a couple of years ago. Hopefully, things will improve in the coming week or so. I attach screenshots of the BTW Wholesale Speed Checker and my router's interface.

Regards

David

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @dgp 

Let us know if this doesn't increase and we will assist accordingly. 

Kind Regards, 

MoR

frosty8
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I think I have the same problem. I only switched yesterday from BT (up to 50 Mbps) to Plusnet fibre extra but speed and stats are actually a bit lower.

Two speed tests taken a few weeks ago and one taken today (BTW speed check not working properly)

I am still using the BT smart hub and I think my profile has not been changed.

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @frosty8, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear of your slower than expected speeds.

We're showing that your line speeds should be between 39-54.5mbps and on testing are detecting a potential performance issue which may well be causing the problem.

Due to this, I've just raised the issue directly with BT Wholesale and now await their update which we should receive within the next 3 working days.

Please let us know if you need any further assistance in the meantime.

frosty8
Rising Star

Thanks very much.

frosty8
Rising Star

I had a call yesterday from Plusnet to say that adjustments had been made to the line. I asked did this mean my line/profile had been reset but was given a rather ambiguous answer but checked the router stats while on the phone and saw that they hadn't been. I was given the usual 'thats all your line is capable of' and that it was 'due to the length of your line' story.

One thing that has improved is latency which has halved and gone back to a figure I used to get with Sky a couple of years ago, but never with BT.

I did ask if I could leave without penalty. ''not at the moment'' was the answer.

I asked if I could leave in a week's time if things had not improved and was told I could not.

I was told not to switch off the router and that things should improve over time, I agreed. I normally leave the router on 24/7 but on Saturday I was doing some electrical work so the power was switched off and on again 4--5 times which possibly confused DLM.

My router stats right now show a drop of about 4.5Mbps in the maximum data rate ... I would have expected an increase ?

Actual throughput speeds are a bit lower than they were with BT infinity 1.

16th Aug 19 speedtest.GIF 16th Aug with BT

Speed test with Plusnet today Speed 1.GIF

I would give BTW tests but they are all over the place, the ones I have given agree with a Google speedtest.

Thanks

dgp
Rising Star

Hi frosty8. My download and upload speeds improved by about 10% and 30% respectively when I plugged the router into the master socket instead of the extension socket I’d been using, but still not enough. It made no difference when I was on standard fibre. 

However, they’ve identified a Bridge Tap issue with my line and are sending out an Openreach engineer to hopefully fix it.tomorrow.

frosty8
Rising Star

Hi dgp, thanks for the reply. My master socket is downstairs and I have an extension that I put in myself years ago using cat6 shielded cable. I have never found any difference using the test socket but it is useful for ruling out internal wiring.

frosty8
Rising Star

Current line speed and maximum data rate ????

Current line speed.GIF

Max data rate.GIF

Of course I am getting the lower of the two, why Huh

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @frosty8,

You mentioned that you normally use an extension as part of your set up that you have been using for a while. Are you currently using that setup or are you connected to the test socket?  

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
frosty8
Rising Star

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I am using the extension, shielded cat 6.

It has never made any difference in the past compared to the test socket. I can plug the router into the test socket if required though I can't drag my desktop down there as well to test speed .... though it is wireless enabled so I would be able to check stats.

What seems strange to me is the profile at 35.3Mbps down and 20 up on an over 70 line.

17th Sep.GIF

frosty8
Rising Star

I have preemted the request to plug into the test socket. It is now plugged in there with a new filter and new RJ11 (I opened the plusnet router box) since 9.50am.