cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed product from standard slow to Unlimited Fibre, so now what is supposed to happen?

FIXED
DaveSuda

Changed product from standard slow to Unlimited Fibre, so now what is supposed to happen?

OK for the little extra money I changed my product to unlimited fibre. And then an email from PN to say 'all done, we've took your money' and that's it.

Excuse me, but don't I need a new Master socket and a BT Openreach Modem installing in my house? Does PlusNet leave every customer high and dry like this or is it just me.

According to plusnet I will need:

Your Plusnet 2704n router
2 Ethernet cables (1x yellow ends, 1x red ends)
Power supply
Handy reference card
BT Openreach modem
Fibre master socket
Setup guide (not shown)

The BT Openreach Modem and Fibre master socket are supplied and fitted by the BT engineer who installs your service.

So now what? raise a ticket?

8 REPLIES 8
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Changed product from standard slow to Unlimited Fibre, so now what is supposed to happen?

Fix

Hi,that was the old way of how things were done, the service is now a self install so no engineer visit or a separate Modem.

you should have been sent a new all in one HUB one modem/router to arrive before your switch over but as your posting here asking what is going on that clearly hasn't happened hopefully someone on the CRT ( customer relations team) will see this and help you out or you could jump onto live chat or phone and ask them what's going on. 

DaveSuda

Re: Changed product from standard slow to Unlimited Fibre, so now what is supposed to happen?

I didn't specify a hardware requirement at the time as my router 'can VDSL' but only via a BT Modem.Oh well so I need the Plusnet Hub, and these work from the ancient BT Master socket, I remain to be convinced. Almost cancelled the contract today.

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

you can connect the Hub to a Microfilter which i think comes with it i'm not 100% sure on that as my Fibre set up was done a couple of years ago when BT engineers did it and they installed Filtered master sockets which sadly no longer happens. 

personally I would give Plusnet a call or go into live chat and talk to them,  they would know more about the self install than i do and should be able to arrange a HUB for you, that's if you still plan on staying

etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

The hub one comes with a micro filter. I just basically unplugged my adsl router and plugged my hub one in, as it can run on adsl.

The day I was switched come along, my hub dropped connection and returned on fibre.

Give plusnet a call, I believe you'll have to pay p&p but standard sockets if working on adsl should work fine with self installs. Obviously if plusnet think you require an engineer they'll book one. Mention about your phone socket when calling, see what they suggest
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
DaveSuda

I had a chat online, I should have a new Hub within a few days. Seems simple enough to install. I should have specified one when I changed product, they're free so why not. Got P&P free too for loyalty reward!

Soulfox

I did the same recently, self install with a new hub and a bit of "twiddling" at the exchange. Confirmation e mail of switchover received and ......... recorded d/load speed from 8meg to 22meg but no difference at all to browsing/gaming/streaming etc. Long loading screens/download times with lots of dropped connections. It was pointless.
etdsaunders
Pro
Fixes: 7

@Soulfox Then you'd need to ask plusnet for a profile nudge! Normally it gets stuck on a adsl profile.

Have you sorted the slow speed?
Raspberry Pi enthusiast!
If you Like it, give it a Thumbs_Up
Soulfox

The 22meg was the fibre speed quoted at sale which should mean "no more loading screens". Have spoken to PN. They are supplying the quoted speed which is evident on BT Wholesale but function is simply no different. Tried channel change,reset,new hub etc but nothing has changed.