cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed from fibre to fibre extra and line is still connecting at old speed.

Antsjb1969

Changed from fibre to fibre extra and line is still connecting at old speed.

Hi, I’ve just changed from unlimited fibre to unlimited fibre extra. 

This was schedule to take place at 2am this morning. This evening I’ve switched off the router, left it 10 mins and powered it back on and it’s still connecting at 31.01 Mbps which was the previous speed.

Has the upgrade taken place yet ? It says it has on my account ?

Thanks,

Anthony.

8 REPLIES 8
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Changed from fibre to fibre extra and line is still connecting at old speed.

If it is syncing at 31Mbps, then it won't magically get any faster moving to Fibre Extra.

Do you know what your line is capable of?

Post the results of the DSL checker, but make sure you hide your number.

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Antsjb1969

Re: Changed from fibre to fibre extra and line is still connecting at old speed.

Hi,

Result of the DSL checker is below.

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Handback
Threshold(Mbps)
WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in Jumper
High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 56.6 40 10 6.9 35 Available Available --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 55 35 9.8 6.3 30 Available Available --
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install Process
FTTP on Demand 330 30 -- Available --
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in Jumper
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 15 -- 13 to 16.5 Available Available --
WBC ADSL2+ Annex M Up to 15 Up to 1.5 13 to 16.5 Available Available --
ADSL Max -- -- -- -- Available --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available Available --
Observed Speeds VDSL
Max Observed Downstream Speed 32.39
Max Observed Upstream Speed 5.65
Observed Date 2020-12-21
Other Offerings Availability Date
VDSL Multicast Available
ADSL Multicast Available
Premise Environment Status
Bridge Tap N
VRI N
NTE FacePlate N
Last Test Date 13-01-2021
Exchange Product Restrictions Status
FTTP Priority Exchange N
WLR Withdrawal N
SOADSL Restriction Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31 Jan 2013. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Well at least you should be getting higher speeds.

Is your line quiet? Dial 17070 option 2, idealy from a corded phone.

Is the router plugged into a modern filtered master socket? Or an extension?

Are you able to plug the router into the hidden test socket - compare sync and attainable speeds before and after.

Antsjb1969

Hi Mustrum,

The line is quiet (at least no noise I could hear). 

The router is plugged into the BT master with an ADSL filter plugged in. There is an ADSL filter on the other phone lines too (including the sky box).

I’ll try disconnecting the extensions and plugging the router directly into the test port and rebooting the router. 

Thanks, Anthony.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

It is likley to be your extensions causing the slow speed. In the early days of FTTC an OR engineer would fit a filtered Master Socket to ensure people got the best speeds. Alas they stopped, now they wait until people have speed problems and fit them when called out.

If you report a fault PN will get you to go through these checks before arranging an engineer visit.

Antsjb1969

Hi Mustrum,

Shows how long it is since I crawled under my desk in the cellar. I actually do have a filtered master socket (much to my surprise).

I've disconnected all extension wiring and plugged the plusnet router directly into the test socket (I used an adsl filter to connect it in). Still getting pretty much the same speeds. I've attached the details of the speeds when plugged directly into the test socket, and when plugged into the normal socket. Any ideas or other tests I should look to do ?

Thanks for advice so far, Anthony.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

I think you have done all you can now - I was hoping to see an increase in the test socket, so could blame the extensions - alas not.

All you can do is report a fault, OR may be able to do something, but looking again at the DSL Checker results I suspect it might not be much.

Moving closer to a green cabinet or waiting for FTTP may be your only option if you can't get Virgin Media!!

ecrTech
Grafter

What did you expect from plusnet low price bad fibre?