Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of package?

Arthurton166
Grafter

Change of package?

Hi,
I am currently on fibre extra, which depending on which page I look at online in my account is guaranteeing minimum of 27 - 40mbs.
However upon seeing an advert stating average speeds are around 66mbps, I would conclude that I have no need to be on the premium fibre package as my line does not support anywhere near that speed!?
Surely I shouldn't have had the option to upgrade to this option, only doing so at the time as I had found normal fibre wasn't quite enough for the household.
(Which is still the case, but I know it's the speed of the line not the provider 🤣)
Why offer me an option I can't actually get benefit of?
Many thanks
15 REPLIES 15
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Change of package?

If you put your phone number in here https://my.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/adsl.htm?s_cid=ws_furls_adslchecker you should get the estimates for your line.

Speed is dependent on your line length / quality - the 66mbps is an average of all customers on that package.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Arthurton166
Grafter

Hi Dvorak,
Thanks for replying!
I appreciate that the average speed is to be taken into account but after checking my account status in the last few minutes Plusnet are stating that my line is achieving 27-28mbps, a speed that is promised within speeds offered in the price plan below the fibre extra.
Surely the extra fibre should not be available to a customer whose line won't support a higher speed than the original fibre package?
Often when checking new broadband deals you will only be offered certain packages as your line can obviously only support up to a certain speed.
As always your speed is often misrepresented depending on how hard you look, for example it states on my account I can achieve up to 40mbps, yet when looking at a more detailed summary it actually states no more than 28 can be achieved.
So again I am wondering why I would even be allowed to choose the extra option when I will not see an improvement to my service overall.
Apologies for the rant, just a little frustrated.
(Both at myself for not being more switched on and at Plusnet)
Kind regards
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

So why not post the results of the DSL checker, people can then advise if your line is performing at its best or not.

Speed tests are always a bit subjective and easily influenced by many factors.

dvorak

Normally the PN systems won't allow an extra package to be ordered if the speeds aren't met.
Did you see the what the speed checker said?
Could be the estimates are larger and theres an issue, otherwise you do seem to be on the wrong package.
Customer / Moderator
Arthurton166
Grafter

Hi mustrum,

Do you mean the following attachment? 

Screenshot_20200112-192429.png

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from an attachment in a public forum (to an area that staff can see).
dvorak

From that, agree there's not much point on being on fibre extra.
Customer / Moderator
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

@Arthurton166 

The DSL checker is used by ISP's to determine if the higher packages are available to customers, and in your case as your theoretical speeds are above 38Mbps, the choice is then down to you. Some, if not many would say thats a bit harsh, but ultimatly the consumer should be given the choice.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Arthurton166 

When you upgraded to fibre extra were you not sent an email stating the guaranteed speed that your line would support? At that time you could have cancelled the upgrade.

With these speeds it was never going to be worth taking the fibre extra package. In my opinion it's pretty poor for Plusnetto to offer the upgrade unless a minimum guaranteed speed greater than 40Mbps can be achieved but I'm afraid that these days Caveat Emptor applies.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Arthurton166
Grafter

Hi baldrick1,
I have delved through old emails and found one that states estimated 32 to I think 48, not a minimum they guarantee tho. Which at very least seems slightly misleading as bt say the absolute max for my line is 44.
But in current climate we await fair advertising and transparency in broadband provision.
Thanks to all for taking the time to look and comment, I do appreciate.
After checking with bt offers, 21mbps is the minimum with up to I think 36. As they appear to have announced they have signed up alongside ofcom they maybe are having to be more clear of what they can provide, rather than offering a vague possibility.
I guess breaking my contract and going elsewhere is my next move, sadly the speeds I have been getting on average overall have never consistently even hit the alleged 27mbps promised.
Such a shame, bought into their sales pitch, plus having these forums was such a massive bonus!
Arthurton166
Grafter

Apologies it was 32-46 estimate, I don't want to throw false info 😏
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I didnt think that the Plusnet systems would allow Extra to be ordered unless the VDSL A (clean) low estimate was above 40?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak

That was my understanding too.
Customer / Moderator
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Arthurton166 

Unless you have access to a cable based ISP or mobile then breaking your contract and being hit with cancellation charges is not going to get you increased speed.

Stick with it here so we can help you get the best out of your line. No doubt a Plusnet staffer will be along soon to sort out your contractual problem. Maybe they can be persuaded to backdate a downgrade to 40/10 to when you first took the upgrade offer and credit the difference to your account?

In the meantime there are things that you can do to ensure that there is nothing in your property slowing the line. Start by removing the front from your BT Master socket. You may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the Test socket.

1. Plug a wired phone in here and do a quiet line test by dialling 17070 then selecting Option 2. If there's any background noise then report a phone fault.

2. Plug your filter into the Test socket and connect the router. Connect the router to a computer via an Ethernet cable and do a speed test. Let us know the results.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi @Arthurton166 thanks for your post. I'm sorry to see there's confusion regarding whether your line can support the speeds offered by our fibre extra package. I've looked through this and I can see when you submitted the product change online, we emailed you an estimated speed range of between 32mbps and 46mbps with a minimum guaranteed of 27.9mbps. A copy of this email can be found online via your account Here as a service notice.

I'd have expected this information to have been provided before you completed the order online, and the differing estimated speed range you're seeing now is just down to the capability of your line as estimates can change due to this.

Our systems will allow you to upgrade to fibre extra if the top end of the estimate is above 40mbps, because in theory there's a possibility you may be able to achieve this and we'd be giving you the option to take the risk if you choose to. Also it's possible that an upgrade to fibre extra may increase an upload speed, which may be beneficial to someone.

While I'd be happy to downgrade you back to standard broadband as a goodwill gesture reverting you on to your previous agreement, I'd second the above advice regarding troubleshooting your speeds as it's possible your line can do better. 

Upon testing your line I can see your router is getting a speed of 31mbps which while it's within the current estimated speed range for your line at between 30.66mbps and 44.87mbps, your router stats are showing the maximum attainable speed to be at 42.5mbps so it appears you should be able to get a faster speed.

To troubleshoot this I'd firstly connect your router into the test socket, I'd recommend following the instructions Here. This will rule out any internal wiring from affecting your connection or speeds.

I've also had a look at the profile of your line "Downstream: 0.128M-80M3dB with Retransmission (High). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection" I suspect that the '3dB' is artificially pushing your speeds up and without it you'd likely get a slower speed so there does seem to be an issue somewhere.

It's worth noting that if you downgrade to standard fibre or move providers, what's known as a DLM reset will be carried out upon completion of the order and you'll likely lose the '3dB' the DLM has set for your line. The DLM stands for Dynamic Line Management and it's automated software controlled by Openreach at the cabinet (The green box in the road).

If your speeds don't improve with your router plugged into the test socket I'd be tempted to raise a fault with our suppliers and offer you an engineer visit to investigate further based on the above rationale.

I'm also creating a support ticket on your account with this information and a bit more regarding your contract if you do want to downgrade to standard fibre broadband. 

I hope this helps.

[edit]

That support ticket can be found Here.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet