cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change in Estimated Line Speed

Dhaos
Grafter

Change in Estimated Line Speed

I have noticed recently that my speeds have dropped by about 9mb (from 72 to 63) i have done a line check on the bt wholesale site and my estimated speeds have dropped from a high of 72 to a high of 63. Is there anything i can do about this or do i just need to suck it up?

9 REPLIES 9
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Change in Estimated Line Speed

Hi estimates vary and they can go up and down depending on how BTW / openreach view things for your area and line, I had mine go from high of 67Mb down to 35Mb, recently it rose back up to high of 62Mb.

There's nothing you can do about estimates it's as you say you just have to suck it up, personally i think they shouldn't be allowed to move the goal posts once your connection is up and running but BTW / openreach do what they like and we have no say in the matter.

Dhaos
Grafter

To be fair to BT/Plusnet, when i had my initial estimation when i ordered fibre 5 years ago i got a estimate of 63mb but had 72 for the last 5 years Just strange that all of a sudden the estimation has dropped 9mb, its hard to believe there has been a sudden influx of customers that have ordered fibre on my Cabinet/Exchange.

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Some good advice here, @Dhaos

The only thing that I would add is that although we have no control over the estimates that are shown on our supplier's website (or any other website for that matter), we would still use the ORIGINAL minimum speed quote that you were sent at the time of taking out a service as a benchmark for speed issues.

Are you experiencing any issues with the speed of your service or were you just querying why the website estimate had changed?

Happy to assist if you could provide more info.

Best Wishes,

Dave

Dhaos
Grafter

Strange just got home from work and noticed my speed has gone back up to 72 along with the estimate 40-72 and the ip profile has changed for 63 to 72, so looks like i had a change in speed for about 6 weeks for some reason.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've looked through the history of your line and I can't see any reason for this.

Fingers crossed it stays that way!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Dhaos
Grafter

Spoke to soon now the top end of my estimate is 60.7mb, bit annoying how it can swap and change freely.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Dhaos, looking at the estimates for your line, they seem to have a high of 80Mbps and a low of 67Mbps:

Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low        
VDSL Range A (Clean) 80 67 20 19 60 Available -- --

Having said this, there is a Minimum Guaranteed Access Line Speed (MGALS) of 60Mbps, however this shouldn't stop us reporting a fault with our suppliers if you were achieving speeds below the low end of 67Mbps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Dhaos
Grafter

On the BT Wholesale website i am getting 

For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 40 Mbps-60.7 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 60.7 Mbps

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

I've just tested from our side and although no problems are flagging up, it does show that your download speed is below the estimates for your line.

Please can your run through our troubleshooting guides Here.

If you continue to experience problems after this, please report a fault via your account Here.

Let us know once you've done this and we'll get that picked up and raised with our suppliers for further investigation.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet