cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change connection to a closer FTTC cabinet

nsi-ltd

Change connection to a closer FTTC cabinet

Hi,

I was an early adopter of FTTC, and is the reason why I changed ISP to Plusnet.  However, I have never got more than 12-13 Mb/s download speed, and much lower upload speed.  Far less than the headline speeds for the service, but more or less in agreement with Openreach's speed prediction.

What I have come to realise is that I am wired off of Horndean cabinet 1, which is about 1.5 miles from my home.  The long line losses are consistent with the lack of performance I am experiencing.  Ironically there are cabinets closer to my home which have been installed since I was connected, and it makes sense that better speeds are almost guaranteed if I was connected with a shorter run of copper.

Plusnet have confirmed that they have no control over the choice of cabinet, and Openreach seem to be a closed door to end-users; referring them to contact their ISP.

Does anyone else have a similar experience, or suggestions of how this situation could be resolved.

Possibly the resolution in another post, 'FTTC - New cabinet installed much closer than my connection', could be a way forwards.

Many thanks,

Steve

4 REPLIES 4
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Change connection to a closer FTTC cabinet

ISPs can’t request a line to be re-routed through another cabinet and Openreach generally wouldn’t consider it on an individual basis.

It’s not uncommon to see Openreach arrange “live to live migrations” moving lines in bulk to another cabinet but this can’t be requested. 

Having said that, you could try contacting Openreach through this formwize: https://www.formwize.openreach.co.uk/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d mentioning what you’ve said. Worth asking. They may do it or they may already have plans of some sort to provide A faster fibre service to you. 

nsi-ltd

Thank you Thrall,

I have completed the form as suggested, now wait for some action.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Business/FTTC-New-cabinet-installed-much-closer-than-my-connection/m-p... has a successful outcome, that was assisted by Gandalf .  It sounds exactly like the solution I am hoping for, so may provide some precedent to unlock this matter.

KR,

Steve

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@nsi-ltd  I think I should warn you that the thread you have linked to where a single line was moved to a different cabinet is a very rare event.  You may not be able to get the same result but it's worth a try.🙂

Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

If you don’t get any joy with the formwize, you could try raising a fault at faults.plus.net and convince Plusnet to arrange an engineer.

(You may have to pay for the call out, I believe around £65? if the engineer passes the job back to them as no fault found though)